OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Commemorative Call Ideas???

Started by Bigsho69, May 20, 2012, 09:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigsho69

I was able to complete my archery grand slam this year and I was going to have a commemorative call made but I am looking for some cool ideas.  Anyone have any cool ideas of what I should have made?  Wendell Rye will be making the call.  I was thinking of either a zebra wood anodized aluminum or a laminate with wood from each state that I hunted.   Any other ideas out there?

guesswho

Quote from: Bigsho69 on May 20, 2012, 09:32:07 PM
I was able to complete my archery grand slam this year and I was going to have a commemorative call made but I am looking for some cool ideas.  Anyone have any cool ideas of what I should have made?  Wendell Rye will be making the call.  I was thinking of either a zebra wood anodized aluminum or a laminate with wood from each state that I hunted.   Any other ideas out there?
Maybe a breast feather with a state pin from each state you hunted around it under glass.  I don't know if that would be hard to do or not.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

nannas guide

I like the laminate idea, but if it's going to be a commerorative wouldn't a picture of one or all the hunts under galss be more memorable?
There are two types of hunters; normal hunters and turkey hunters.

Bigsho69

dirt road ninja

Id keep it simple, with the date, state, and species carved or burnt into the wood. It's not flashy, but anyone who would appreciate it, will know what it means.

stone road turkey calls

combine some feathers from each bird and make a mini tail fan under glass
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

lightsoutcalls

Just something to think about... There is no more than 1/8" between the top of a soundboard and the bottom of the call surface.  If you try to stuff a bunch of momentos in that 1/8" of space, you're going to change the sound of the call, and likely not for the better.  Since there are 4 subspecies, that would mean 4 photos.  Given that the soundboard in my calls is 2 7/8" across, when that is cut into a pie shape with 4 pieces, those photos aren't going to show much detail.  When you condition any part of the surface glass, you will then visually obscure some part of one or more of the photos under the surface. 
   Just my 2 cents worth, but I think those kinds of things could be better displayed in some type of shadow box display or something. 
    You need to decide if the call is going to be a decoration for the shelf (in the downstairs man-cave  :) ) OR is it going to be carried to hunt with?
    Knowing your preference for anodized aluminum, I'm guessing that would be your choice if you are going to hunt with the call...
    An idea that came to my mind was having the 4 subspecies listed clockwise (12,3,6,9 o'clock positions) in the order they were taken, and including city state underneath...

Eastern
                                Topeka, KS
... and so on.
    In the center of the call,

Single Season

Grand Slam

...maybe a picture of the nock and fletchings portion of an arrow between the words...  maybe a row of turkey tracks around the outer contoured perimeter of the call...

Just remember that the soundholes on the call take up some space too.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

South Alabama

Congrats on your slam! I like the date and subspecies on a great sounding call ... might also add location (nearest city/state).  This would be memorable either on the wall or in your vest

Bigsho69

Dang Wendell, I like that idea as well.  I will get with you to discuss details.  I am thinking two call exactly the same, one for display and one for use in the field.  Thanks for making such awesome calls!