turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally, bird # 2

Started by barry, May 19, 2012, 02:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

After 4 weeks I entered the last week of the VA season with 2 tags left and plans of hunting each day to try to notch them both. After getting rained out on Mon & Tues I finally made it out Wed morning with my nephew Tony. We went to one of his farms and got setup just inside of a patch of big beautiful hardwoods only to have the sun rise with no roost gobbling. A little after 7:00 a bird finally answers a call, I call again and get cutoff. I whisper to my nephew to get ready and he replies with "There he is." A different bird had somehow slipped in silently and was strutting within range before I ever saw him. Tony insisted that I shoot so I get ready. While waiting for a good shot a bird gobbles just over the ridge, well "my" bird, still in full strut, is now close to the dekes, his head soon stretches upward making for the perfect shot opportunity. BOOM! He goes down and I give another call as quick as I can and get cutoff again by the bird over the ridge. One more call and here they come, yep 2 more longbeards come into view but stop just out of range. They gobble a few more times then disappear over the ridge never to return. An hour later another longbeard walks thru the woods just out of range and pays no attention to my calling or the dekes. We soon call it a day as Tony had to go start cutting hay.
This hunt was special as it had been 18 seasons, just months before my accident, since my last turkey hunt with my nephew, we toted a bird out of the woods that day as well.
I didn't hunt Thursday but made it out Friday and today, got on some birds but could not get them in. On these 2 hunts I was reminded of how being mobile is quite an asset while spring hunting.

Here's my bird, just a shade over 20 lbs. Sorry, no camera while with my nephew.

Got cheated on my spurs, one about ¾" and the other just a nub.

Pretty good beard.

Here it is along with my lucky seashell courtesy of my buddy Miss Abby. I had measured the longest strand at a little over 13 inches but when I had some assistance to straighten it out it measured 14 5/8! I know it was only one strand but that's all it takes.

GSLAM95

That is awesome!!!  Congratulations on a very special hunt with your nephew, my hat is off to you sir as you have hunt drive and the positive attitude that it takes to be successful in the turkey woods and beyond...

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Congrats Barry!

Glad to see you got a tag on another one!

captin_hook

Nice! That one strand counts. Great beard.

WiLL B

beagler

Never Misses

Neill_Prater

Way to go! Congratulations on a fine  bird, and a fun hunt.

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

sippy cup

beware of longdale legend

Ol'Mossy

Nice bird and hunt, congarts  :icon_thumright:

HARPJ_is_HOOKED

Harper Johnson

tomstopper

Gold Spur

Congrats to the both of you. Barry that's an awesome bird!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

drenalinld

Congrats Barry!  That's a LONG beard!

catdaddy

WTG Barry--that's a nice un!!