OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finally!! Only took 22 days!! BTD!!

Started by timbrhuntr, May 19, 2012, 10:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbrhuntr

This bird was a tough one but I wanted a trophy and for my area where a good bird usually has sharp, curved hooks that never seem to go over an inch he is excellent. I have hunted this guy before but usually give up and take an easier tom before the season ends. Not this year I wanted him. This tom usually separates himself from the flock in his own field with 3 or 4 hens. He is secluded and hard to get to. He can be patterned but it's hard to get to his spot undetected. I have been there several mornings where he either flies out of range into the field or walks out at a spot 60 yds away. I tried a strutter he could care less. I tried calling but he usually ignores it. He just sits there gobbling until his hens show up and then stays with them all day it seems. Well this day I went by his territory and he was nowhere in sight. I decided to slip in. I finally got where I wanted to be and gave a few yelps. I received a gobble reply but it didn't sound like my guy. After a calling session 2 toms appeared and surveyed the field. They were real wary and I think afraid to enter the boss's field. After a bit of nervous pecking at the ground they left. I made a move to get ahead of them as I was seriously thinking of shooting one. They entered another field and I started to yelp suddenly a hen began to yelp at me. We exchanged taunts for a bit and then I heard it from behind me. The unmistakable gobble of the boss. I immediately headed to the field edge put out a hen and waited a few minutes. I then yelped and bang he gobbled right behind me and right on top of me. I went quiet hoping he would enter the field and see the hen. Well I then heard what we all want to hear that unmistakable "hump mmmmmm" Then again. Man it was so close I not only could hear the drumming but I could feel the vibration in my chest too. I was afraid to breath. This went on for what seemed like a half hour but was likely only several minutes. Then I heard it again to me left. Being a right handed shooter I couldn't believe my luck. I was tucked in the fence row but was just able to glimpse his bright white head as he walked out in full strut. He saw the decoy and made it to about 35 yds looking at it. He didn't like it as he came out of strut shook off and began to turn to walk away. It was too late the gun was already on him and with a bang down he went. I ran over to him as he flopped and grabbed his feet I wanted to see his spurs. Man they looked sharp and I hung on tight as he went through his last death flaps. Man I couldn't believe it.
I got back to the truck and took a quick measurement. Beard 9", right spur inch and a quarter, left inch and an eighth and 21 lbs 14 oz on my scale. My best bird to date. It felt good I had scouted him, patterned him and now I had him.

Still got another tag but I doubt I'll do better than this one.

Now for #2 hopefully with the bow.

beagler

Never Misses

TRKYHTR

Nice hunt. Great turkey. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

GSLAM95

Congrats on sticking with it and putting him down, sounds like it was a dandy hunt that did him in.   :anim_25: on filling your other tag as well..

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Jacobson

Congrats, that is one bird you will not forget.

guesswho

Congrats and good job, good luck with the bow.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

captin_hook

Congrats. Is that a Pennsylvania bird? Looks like a PA tag.

turkey_slayer

Nice bird! Love the ivory in the spurs

redrivergar

Congrats on a great gobbler! Way to stick with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Congratulations Tim,...Way to go buddy!
Jim

tomstopper

barry

A memory maker for sure! Congrats!!!

ElkTurkMan

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott