turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What To Expect?

Started by guesswho, May 18, 2012, 07:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

I've heard that the meanest gobblers get the best spots.  So if you kill a boss gobbler in his perceived spot this year, will the new boss claim that spot as his next year?  Or could there be a a sub dominant claim it?  Or does the boss get all the spots and the sub's just trespass?     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spring_Woods

How do you know said tom turkey was the boss?
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

BOFF

That's just a rumor.

It's actually the hen who tells the gobbler where to roost, how high to fly, and where to eat.

She is known to change her mind quite frequently, which sometimes drives the gobblers into being funny.

Now if your refering about those funny gobblers, you could be on to something.

God Bless,
David B.

guesswho

Quote from: Spring_Woods on May 18, 2012, 08:03:52 PM
I personally watched him whip three longbeards at the same time in front of several hens and jakes in late February.  The last I saw of those three lb's that day they were kicking up dust getting out of Dodge.  After that the closest I heard or saw another gobbler in that spot was roughly 300 yards even though the spot was covered up with hens.    Then when I lucked up and killed said tom he was a light weight but sported 1 3/8" needles on each leg.  So for me to say he's the boss would just be a wild guess on my part.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Ronnie, the offseason doldrums are pelting you already??

I was looking forward to these exercises but not this soon!

In my mind, desirable habitat is desirable habitat.  Sometimes a particular animal's personal preferences will lead them to obscure locations but most of the time, the best areas draw the most hens which subsequently creates competition amongst the males with the "dominant" bird securing the right to reside there.

I'm probably not qualified enough to comment, though !

guesswho

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 18, 2012, 09:31:47 PM
the best areas draw the most hens which subsequently creates competition amongst the males with the "dominant" bird securing the right to reside there
Makes sense to me, and kinda what I was wanting to hear.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Spring_Woods

Quote from: guesswho on May 18, 2012, 08:16:44 PM
Quote from: Spring_Woods on May 18, 2012, 08:03:52 PM
I personally watched him whip three longbeards at the same time in front of several hens and jakes in late February.  The last I saw of those three lb's that day they were kicking up dust getting out of Dodge.  After that the closest I heard or saw another gobbler in that spot was roughly 300 yards even though the spot was covered up with hens.    Then when I lucked up and killed said tom he was a light weight but sported 1 3/8" needles on each leg.  So for me to say he's the boss would just be a wild guess on my part.

That seems pretty conclusive to me. :D
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Old Gobbler

The best habitat for a gobbler seems to be standing on the back of hen -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

mossy835

You will just have to back there and observe (not shoot) and report back to us at the end of next season so we have proof positive from you that he was replaced by a new boss gobbler. That will answer your question I am sure.

:funnyturkey:

turkey_slayer

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 18, 2012, 09:31:47 PM
Ronnie, the offseason doldrums are pelting you already??

I was looking forward to these exercises but not this soon!

In my mind, desirable habitat is desirable habitat.  Sometimes a particular animal's personal preferences will lead them to obscure locations but most of the time, the best areas draw the most hens which subsequently creates competition amongst the males with the "dominant" bird securing the right to reside there.

I'm probably not qualified enough to comment, though !

Yep I agree. He will be the one with the most hens and the most hens will be in the best habitat for the area. Every year I find a bird with a bunch of hens and try to kill him later on. I will say I was greatly disappointed one time after calling a gobbler away from 19 hens and he was just a one incher, lightweight, and thin beard. Figured that sucker had one dragging the ground and 2" spurs  ;D