turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

why would this happen??

Started by captin_hook, May 17, 2012, 02:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captin_hook

Me and a good friend of mine were goin to hunt yesterday, he opens his call pocket on his vest to show me his new lights out slate call he just bought. He had a woodhaven surface protector on the call. He takes the lid off the call & it has a crack in it. He pulls out his glass lights out that he bought last year....same thing. He said nothing hit his vest and they were in padded pockets in his tactical tatr vest. What could have happened? Has this happened to anyone else.

captin_hook

Skeeterbait

It really sounds like he or someone rolled over on them, stepped on them, placed something heavy on them, etc.  I have used the woodhaven surface protectors for many years on both a slate and glass in my vest with no problems.

Longbeardfever4ever

Surfaces were too tight and/or the wood moved. He should contact Wendell, he's a good guy.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

a-j calls

why didn't you first contact the call maker??????????

ttcustomcalls

was the vest left somewhere with large temperature fluctuations like a car? That can do it.

captin_hook

Reason we didn't contact the call maker yet is 4 of us were at a camp in the middle of nowhere , I just got home today and wanted to post this to get some responses before I send a email wendell. I'm emailing him right now. Oh yeah my buddy whose call these are doesn't have internet access, that's why I'm posting it.

VanHelden Game Calls

Odds of 2 calls cracking at the same time that were built a year apart seems to lean toward the OOPS category.  No disrespect intended,  accidents  happen to all of us.

My guess its a pressure thing, rolled, sat on etc.  In a pouch with protection would have isolated the calls some from temperature shock.

Contact the maker for new surfaces and to see what he says.  But I would expect to pay for the fix.

pappy

If the glass was broken straight across I could see it caused by fluctuation, but with it being broke in several ways stemming from a central point then in my mind it was done by applying pressure of some kind, as for Wendell's call....with both the wooden pot and the slate being busted that is definitely NOT from shifting of the wood or from temp changes, slate will not bust in line like that without pressure applied, the pot could shift, but unless it was cracked on the lathe, or a line crack was in the wood to begin with, IT WOULD NOT BUST LIKE THAT.......someone or something broke these calls, sorry but that is what i see. I am an experienced call maker of many years, and to my knowledge I have never seen pots break from structural stress in the manner shown.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

MarkJM

Quote from: pappy on May 17, 2012, 09:22:08 PM
If the glass was broken straight across I could see it caused by fluctuation, but with it being broke in several ways stemming from a central point then in my mind it was done by applying pressure of some kind

X2
MuellerCustomCalls

Mallehet

just see if the wood is warped.....i've seen slate crack like that from pot warpage.and it dont take much warpage to crack glass or crystal...........this happens to the best of call makers(no matter what they say)........

captin_hook

Thanks for the input fellas. There is no doubt thatt lights out calls are great calls and I am not discrediting these calls by any means. Just to clarify a little, the wood pot had no cracks anywhere. The only cracks were on the calling surfaces. I first thought it was very odd that 2 calls made a year apart broke at the same time because of being manufactured wrong. I'm in total agreement that its not a issue as to how the calls are made. I was curious to see if anyone thought it could have been from a temp change, moisture, being left in a hot truck cab for a long period of time. We've had lots of rain this year in pa and these calls definitely seen wet days.

TauntoHawk

something hit his vest that he didnt know about, stinks

I know sometimes im not thinking straight and toss my vest around forgetting there's a few hundred dollars worth of calls and gear in there  :z-dizzy:

I would pay to have new surfaces put in the pots again, wendell makes a heck of a call, we can all agree about that
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gobblerstopper

I've never seen slate break, but I don't make a lot of them and don't like the surface much anyway.

However, I have found that there are really no rules to how glass will break when something happens to it. I've fixed calls that looked just like that, had glass that cracked an inch from the edge across the surface and some that just had a single crack.

captin_hook

I heard back from Wendell this morning. He is a very nice man. He said he would replace the calling surfaces for cost of materials. He said out of 2,000 slate calls made he has had only one crack on its own. So this was probably a accidental break on my friends account. Regardless, the problem is going to get fixed and I was very impressed with the kindness and quick reply I received from Mr. Rye.