turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

old hevi shot?

Started by Tuttle, May 16, 2012, 03:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuttle

Ok guys, with all the discussion on the lot numbers for hevi shot, I just had to ask this question.  I purchased 2 boxes of 12 gauge, 3 1/2", 2 1/4 oz, number 6's.  I could tell the boxes had a little age on them by the amount of dust on the top of em.  I've "searched" for a while on here and can't find any info on how to tell the age of these shells or if this is a "good" lot number or not (300 024).  I'll be shooting these out of a 26" 870 SM with the forcing cone lengthened using a .660 JH to start off with.  If anyone has any better suggestions, feel free to let me know.  Thats why I only bought 2 boxes.  I figured that I'll have to do some experimenting to find the perfect match of shell and choke. 

nyhunter

That's a lot# that i have no info on,  I'd love to know your results so please keep us posted. My guess is that it will do very well tho.

allaboutshooting

The 3.5" "Gold" shells with 2.25 oz. of shot have had very few changes to them with the possible addition of flax seed to allow the crimp to be smoother and fit better. I'm sure you'll find them to work just fine and if you found a good price on them, you might want to stock up on them. I see nothing that indicates that prices will go down any time soon, if ever.

Good luck.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gold Spur

Tuttle, 6's with your lot number pattern awesome! I have a few left over with that lot number and would like to have more. If you can get more you should get all you can.  :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Tuttle

Thanks for the info guys!  I got the shells for $20.99 and think I'll go back tomorrow and buy the rest of them.  Any idea what kind of numbers to expect? 

Tuttle

Rob Roberts called yesterday, my barrel is finished and on its way home.  I should be able to pattern it one day next week, I'll let you know how they perform.

nyhunter

190's - 230's maybe even better. I have 1 870 the will put up 238- 245 with that same load. I polished the barrel and it really helped.