OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: what to add to feeders for healthier birds?  (Read 5095 times)

Offline BlakeJ

what to add to feeders for healthier birds?
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
Here in Texas it's legal to feed turkeys.  Turkeys will eat corn just as fast as anything, but so will the deer and pigs.  I usually add milo to the feeders to keep turkeys in the area and ensure there's something left for them after the deer and pigs.  I've been thinking about adding some sunflower seeds as well, does anyone know what would be some good things to mix into the corn to keep the turkeys fat and happy?

i've also read that feeding the turkeys heavy in jan and feb can lead to more egg production by the hens in the spring.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: what to add to feeders for healthier birds?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 04:59:53 PM »
I've fed soybeans in the past, but deer and pigs will eat that too. I don't know how bad your hogs are, but you could try setting a feeder to go off at noon. That gives the birds a few hours till the deer and pigs show up. It's not legal to hunt near feeders in MS, but we can run them year round with corn only be legal to throw at certain times of the year. They hit the corn and beans, but not the pellet protein.