turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Last Chance (.410 hunt)

Started by Huntin Kidd, May 13, 2012, 10:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huntin Kidd

Been after this bird for awhile and had one last chance Saturday morning. Friday evening I saw him and 3 hens before they flew up for the night. The area that they were in was perfect for me to try what has been a personal challenge for me. That was to try to get a legal bird in range of my O/U .410 . Now that I knew he was in a place that if he came to my calling I would have a good chance to kill him with my .410 it was time for me to try.
Well Saturday morning came and I was to the point that I have found myself many times before, at the gun safe looking in. Do I grab my 12 gauge as I have done many times before or do I grab my O/U .410. After all it is the last morning, I know were a good bird is, I have shot and patterned the .410 many times. What to do? I take it! One Last Chance...
I get to the woods and make my way to were i want to hunt and wait. Daylight comes and nothing.......then a crow flew over rising as much cane as he possibly could and i listen for the bird to gobble.......all the while I am still hoping I made the right decision in bringing the .410 and then he Gobbles one time. Well I was close enough time to see if he will answer. I call a couple times and nothing. It does not surprise me because this was the way he had done me a week before. So i wait for him to gobble again. Twenty minutes later he does and is a little closer so i call again and nothing. So I wait......about ten minutes go by with out a sound from him and then I see him. He comes right in to my decoys and presents me with my chance. I wait to see how close he will come and at 7 yards I decide that he is close enough and I am able to see him drop dead.

Spring_Woods

Nice. And a heck of a nice looking gun!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

bird

Outstanding hunt and kudos to you for having the patience to bring that bird within you guns comfort zone. 

Two Thumbs Up

surehuntsalot

very nice bird and a beautiful looking gun...congrats
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

RutnNStrutn

I'm with the guys. Nice bird and beautiful gun too!! :icon_thumright:

ceejay

tomstopper

wvboy

That is awesome right there.. congrats on getting him up close and personal.
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

GSLAM95

That is awesome!  Congratulations on a very special and memorable hunt..

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

nannas guide

Nice gobbler with a nice gun. What was the load?
There are two types of hunters; normal hunters and turkey hunters.

Huntin Kidd

Posted by: nannas guide

Posted on: May 14, 2012, 08:40:56 PM

Insert Quote

Nice gobbler with a nice gun. What was the load?

3" #6 winchester

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

beagler

Never Misses