OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoy Motion?

Started by cornfedkiller, May 09, 2012, 09:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornfedkiller

I hunt turkeys with my bow from a blind, so my decoys are kind of important.  To the other guys here that hunt with decoys, how important is having motion in your decoy spread? 

I just got a new jake decoy, which is alot simpler than the full strut decoy I was using, so I was excited that it wasnt going to take me as long to set up and Id have less stuff to carry.  I got a really good idea from a friend on adding some motion to my new decoy, but its back to more stuff to carry and set up.  Would you guys sacrifice that to be able to easily rotate your decoy? 

Mike Honcho

I think it is very important.   I've seen way too many toms hang up out of range , I think reason being no decoy movement.   There is a gentleman in PA I believe that sells a very reasonably priced decoy motion stake that uses a cord to rotate and dip the decoy in a feeding motion.   I have not tried it but think I will buy one for next season.
I made a simple movement decoy in a rush one morning before going out hunting...zip tied a loop thru the breast of my hen decoy, attached an old fishing reel and line to the loop.   Used a lag screw hook in the ground right under the decoys breast to run the line thru as the "pivot" point.   Placed decoy about 15 yds from my ground blind. Took the reel back to the blind ran line under the "wall" of the blind.   
The action is like a feeding motion.
Long story short at a little after 7:00 am that morning I had a 26 lb, 14 1/2 beard , 1 1/4" (scored 80) in my game bag that I am convinced was coaxed in due to some decoy movement along with calling.
Lessons learned this year...next year I will get a set up with much heavier fishing line....maybe 40lb. etc.  The little zebco I used probably had 6 lb test on it...when setting the decoy our farther than 15 yds or in taller grass etc. the line stretches and doesn't move the decoy much.  This system was pretty compact for me...the reel  etc. stows in the decoy hollow cavity when not in use.   I hunt mostly  in soybean and corn fields so I use decoys probably more than a guy who hunts in the woods.

Yooper

I don't know where you hunt, but the law in Michigan says: "Mechanical, electronic or live decoys are prohibited.  Mechanical decoy means any device that by design or construction uses motion as a visual stimulus to attract a wild turkey, except a wind sock or similar decoy body anchored at a fixed point into the ground and whose only motion is derived exclusively by power of the natural wind."
I have a couple of hen decoys that move in the wind, including one of those bobble head kind, and my jake decoy will move too if there's enough wind.  So, you might want to read your state's hunting regulations before using something that might be illegal. 

cornfedkiller

Quote from: Yooper on May 10, 2012, 03:59:40 PM
I don't know where you hunt, but the law in Michigan says: "Mechanical, electronic or live decoys are prohibited.  Mechanical decoy means any device that by design or construction uses motion as a visual stimulus to attract a wild turkey, except a wind sock or similar decoy body anchored at a fixed point into the ground and whose only motion is derived exclusively by power of the natural wind." 

Really?  I understand the electronic thing, but no mechanical movement?  Thats dumb..

Mike Honcho

Where I hunt the regs are : " no live decoys, no electronic calls".

Yooper

You're right; it is kind of stupid.  I don't understand why you couldn't use a deke with a string attached to make it move, but you can't. You also can't use electronic calls or dogs or any shot larger than 4s. 

stoneman

I'm a rookie hunter, but from what I'm hearing these turkeys are very smart.  I was told that a little movement would help.  I've seen "feather slips" that slide over ur decoys and help add realistic features, especially when the wind blows .  I haven't tried it but it doesn't seem like a bad idea.