Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How about a new bolt action turkey gun?????

Started by Mike Honcho, May 09, 2012, 09:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

Last fall I saw a Savage 212 bolt action 12ga. slug gun at  a gun shop.  That got me thinking....what if Savage made a version with a 20-22" back bored and interchangeable choke barrel in camo for turkey?

It would be a great platform for optics.   

I would buy one!   What do you guys think?

Mike Honcho

A 700 would be nice.  I just suggested the Savage because they already make the 212 slug gun.  I'm not really concerned with needing a quick 2nd shot on turkey so the bolt platform I think would be fine...I have a gunsafe full of high powered deer rifles and they way I hunt turkeys (mostly field birds) longer shots can be the norm, so a turkey gun more like a deer rifle would be appealing to me.   

I wrote the Director of Marketing at Savage a letter with my suggestion and reasoning behind it.

It'll at least give them a chuckle at the water cooler when they get it.

davisd9

My dad has a Mossberg Bolt action shotgun with a fixed full choke.  30" barrel.  I have considered running some hw federals down it to see what it would do.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

I think they make or made one at one time. Check out the below article.

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage_210FT.htm

Mike Honcho

Wow...I had never seen that gun before.  Maybe Savage discontinued it ....I didn't see it on their website recently when I was looking at the 212.

I'd like to find one of those.

drenalinld

lowoctane

Get a Marlin Goose Gun, 3", and have the barrel cut and threaded. It's a 36" barrel... :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-a
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Skeeterbait

The article is from 2005.  The camo is first generation Advantage which hasn't been available for many years. 

mightyjoeyoung

Sold a couple at my old store.  SOLID platforms for sure!  Wishing I would have ponied up the ching for one back then, but I was trying to get out of retail and go to school so I didn't have the money to spare at the time... :'(
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

davisd9

This looks like my dad's except his does not have the muzzle break at the end of the barrel.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Brian Stewart

that isn't a muzzle brake it is a poly choke. you can change the constriction on it.
But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.  Joshua 24:15

mudhen

Too bad all the new Browning A-Bolt shotguns are rifled barrels...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

grousec

I had a Marlin bolt action 12 ga as a teen years ago.  My first shotgun.  I didn't like at all, finally worked after school and saved enough money to buy an 1100, sold the Marlin.   And with today semi-auto's I sure wouldn't want to go backward to a bolt action.  Couldn't give me one if I had to use it.

davisd9

Quote from: Brian Stewart on May 09, 2012, 02:43:25 PM
that isn't a muzzle brake it is a poly choke. you can change the constriction on it.

Whatever it is, it is not on my dad's gun.

allaboutshooting

Most of the custom guns that you see at still target shoots began their life as a Savage 210. There are several folks out there who do custom work to those guns, making shotgun barrels for them, etc. Most are into "card shooting guns" but some have branched out into the still target shooting world as well.

They make very stable shooting platforms and there are several aftermarket triggers that work exceptionally well.

Savage has made at least 2 versions of turkey guns over the years, pretty much as you've described except the barrels were not overbored. They just were not popular enough to keep the interest of that company.

Now that Savage has been sold, it will be interesting to see which direction they go. It's always hard to tell when there are major changes or changes in ownership of a company.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."