OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Well He Aint A Monster

Started by longbeard95, May 07, 2012, 02:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeard95

He sure isnt a monster but he sure did get my heart pounding!

I called in 3 jakes in from roughly 600 yards (just a very rough estimate) and on my first shot I missed at 7 yards??? The first bird that came in just would not keep his head still and all I remember was his head moving just as the gun went BOOM...I missed at 7 yards  ??? Well then I missed again as he was running away but I dropped his buddy on the run at about 40 yards. He had a 4 inch beard with just 3/8 inch spurs. It should be a good eater though and now I have a real jake fan for my full strut decoy.

barry

It's very easy to miss at 7 yds.
Congrats on your bird!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: barry on May 07, 2012, 02:55:46 PM
It's very easy to miss at 7 yds.
True!! Your pattern is so small at that range, 1 head bob, and oops, you miss!! A lot of guys when they get birds that close aim where the neck meets the body to avoid such a miss.
But he'll eat good, and you got your jake fan, so congrats!! :icon_thumright:

BHhunter

Nothing wrong with a jake. They can be just as sporting as a long beard. My son and his buddy doubled on jakes and were just as proud as if it were a 3year old.

longbeard95

Ya I never really thought about my pattern being that tight. I thought that my shooting skills were just that bad or something.

redarrow

Congrats on a fine turkey bird. :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:

Hognutz

Congrats on a nice turkey.  By the way, it is not mandatory that you have to confess to missing a bird!! Well done..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Skeeterbait

7 Yards!  What you doing letting one get that close?  Don't you know turkeys are dangerous?  You have to stop the charge at about 25 yards in case a follow up shot is needed before he gets you!  

:funnyturkey:

Seriously, I know it is hard to get that heavy trigger pulled when your heart is racing and the sight is bouncing, but try and get your mind made up around 25-30 yards.  Lots more room for error at that range.

Congrats on your turkey!  You did good.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

dlquinn

NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

captin_hook

Everyone misses. Congrats on a fine bird. That Jake tail fan should serve you well for many hunts.

Tail Feathers

Congratulations on the bird! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Everyone misses sooner or later, you won't forget it but don't spend time worrying over it either.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

wisconsinteacher

Way to go!!!  Missing keeps the ammo companies running.  Way to hunt hard and enjoy your day off from school. 

tomstopper

Congrats. Nothing to worry about, we all miss. For the Jake, he will taste mighty fine.

longbeard95

Well my plan was too take them sooner but it was like they only wanted too move in one big blob. They didnt finally split up till the 7 yard mark and thats when I first shot. Thank you all for the kind words as well.