turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wild turkey season "vegetable" treat

Started by gobblergls, May 07, 2012, 12:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblergls

When turkey hunting with a buddy recently he showed me a delicious treat in the spring woods.  I have always envied folks in morel mushroom regions.  We don't have them in the low country.
The tender new growth of sumac vine ("cat brier")is worth harvesting this time of the year. The tip of the thornless new growth, 4-5", is tender with an asparagus like taste.  Break or cut about 4-5" of the tip.  Part of the tip resembles a crude wheat head.  The tendrils and stalk as well as "head" are desirable.  If I'm hours from home, I keep them fresh in a cup with a few inches of water.  At home after washing and shaking excess water off, I cut them into two inch lengths.  In a skillet, I add olive oil and chopped garlic glove.  After the garlic is started, add the sumac.  It doesn't take long for it to cook. Salt and pepper, add a little butter and lemon juice.  Serve as a side dish as you would asparagus.  In the spring,  I look forward to brier patches now.  In the photo, from my thumb up is tender.