OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Guilty :)

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 06, 2012, 04:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I am guilty, I dropped the hammer on a jake after passing one Friday.  In WI we get 7 days per tag.  I did not get out this morning due to lightning.   I also am unable to get out Monday or Tuesday because of meetings and work.  With that, I had only a few hours to get a bird.  I had a new spot to try first so I set up on a hidden field with a hen decoy.  I used my new Spring Creek long box and after 45 minutes, I could see 3 heads in the woods about 125 yards away.  They were red, white, and blue.  When they went behind some brush I move and got ready.  I said, if I see a beard and get a shot, I am letting it fly because the next storm is coming soon.  They walked to 20 yards and were able to separate and I touched off.  I will admit, my heart was in my throat and I had to slow my breathing down and tell myself 2 different times to squeeze the trigger.  It was a great weekend.  I saw 12 legal birds and had 4 in range.  I know it is not the boss gobbler, but it sure was fun and I still have one tag left to get the one that is driving me crazy.  I will be on him next weekend.  I told my wife, long beard or bust for next weekend.  Thanks to Neal for his positive words and tips on this hunt.  Also, thanks to my youth mentor for killing a monster that put money in my pocket to buy the long box.  I named the call Carson in her honor and so far have had great success with it.

captin_hook

No shame in that. If a Jake taunts me enough, he's getting it.

barry

If you're proud of that bird there is no need to feel guilty.
Sounds like a good hunt and jakes taste just fine last time I checked.

TRKYHTR

Congrats. Every turkey is a prize.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Deputy 14

Not Guilty by reason of mental disease or insanity. (turkey hunting). Congrats on the bird.

RutnNStrutn

There's no shame in taking a legal bird, and its darn sure better than a tag going to waste. Congrats!! :icon_thumright:

redarrow

Quote from: Deputy 14 on May 06, 2012, 05:40:47 PM
Not Guilty by reason of mental disease or insanity. (turkey hunting). Congrats on the bird.
x2

Spring_Woods

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 06, 2012, 06:23:24 PM
There's no shame in taking a legal bird, and its darn sure better than a tag going to waste. Congrats!! :icon_thumright:
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

TURKEYWHACKER

No reason to feel bad in your decision to harvest a jake. Sure easier to eat than an unfilled tag.  :icon_thumright:

wisconsinteacher

I don't feel bad one bit about shooting the jake.  I am still smiling and running the image of the 3 of them coming to my calls.  The only problem I had was when I went to pick up my blind on a different farm only to hear one gobble 3 times in 10 minutes.  I will get him next weekend though.  It was a great afternoon and just sitting on the hill side was wonderful.  I say guilty because I know others would not shoot a jake but I don't care.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.

beagler

Any legal bird is an accomplishment!
Never Misses

Ded Goblr

He'll eat just fine! Hope it was a good hunt, that's what it is all about my brother!!

Spring Creek Calls

Congratulations Matt! Your description of trying to slow your heartbeat and your heart in your throat is more than justification for dropping the hammer. It is the reason for the hunt.

Mike

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Hognutz

Congrats, Matt. A turkey is a trophy, no matter the size of him.. If it makes you smile, you've won..Period. Congrats, my friend..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

tomstopper

Congrats. They all taste the same. Better to bring home some meat than nothing at all.