turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Jersey Turkey

Started by longbeard56, May 05, 2012, 09:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeard56

I Live in South Jersey. So far this season has been challenging. Seems like they bred early and the Hen's are well on the way to incubating. We are heading into our 3rd week "C" got one Tom so far but not hearing much if any gobbling  or seeing any strutting. Curious if there are any other Jersey folks that have some information to share.
Maybe it's just one of those years where nothing is gonna come easy.
longbeard 56/Tenth Legionnaire
Tri-County Longbeards
NWTF Chapter
Southern NJ.

Michigander

I'd say pray for rain, or key in on areas where high water could be a factor. What I mean by this is that if hens nests get flooded out, they will renest causing a longer breeding season. Wherever there are pockets of hens wanting to breed, there will be groups of toms ready to play.

Thunderbolt

Ussally after the first two weeks of the season..the bird quiet down...and their go crazy once again....with this crazy weather this year....who knows what's going on..Thunderbolt

sixbird

Quote from: longbeard56 on May 05, 2012, 09:01:44 PM
I Live in South Jersey. So far this season has been challenging. Seems like they bred early and the Hen's are well on the way to incubating. We are heading into our 3rd week "C" got one Tom so far but not hearing much if any gobbling  or seeing any strutting. Curious if there are any other Jersey folks that have some information to share.
Maybe it's just one of those years where nothing is gonna come easy.
I know it's late for a reply but I live in South Jersey also and it WAS a tough year! The first week and a half and the last week and a half were CRAZY! Gobblers were really responsive!
Those weeks in between...WOW!!! TOUGH!!!
I think we may have missed a transition. Usually, or at least it's been my observation, we have one week that's good followed by one week that's dead...The rest of the weeks build in gobbling activity until that last week which is a hugely quiet...
This year was certainly an odd one...