turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

will he still come?

Started by tomtaker123, May 04, 2012, 09:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomtaker123

this mornin  i didnt hear anything and then at 6:54 a tom walks out into a field but wants nothin to do with me. after watchin him enter the woods i decide im going to wait 5 minutes then try to get on that woods line and close the distance, long story short half-way there he pops back out sees me and walks away, he didnt really even run but it definately wasnt a relaxed walk. will he be in the same area tomarrow? i was going to set up closer too him tomarrow mornin and see what happens, put one of our pop ups there when we where done, blind is like 100 yards from where i first saw him but if he goes the same way he will be 40 yards infront of me and in range. do you think he will be there? i heard turkeys follow major patterns.
"speak the language"

guesswho

Whether you see him tomorrow or not,  he won't be far. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

redleg06

tomtaker123

another quick question, if a tom is killed (so happens to be the dominant bird in the area.) will a different turkey roost where he used to? i would think so because the boss tom is usually closest t0 and near more hens. how long will it take them to realize hes out of the picture,
"speak the language"

Michigander

He may not roost in the same spot, but another bird will deffinetly take his place. In my experience, it doesn't take long either. Sometimes you can kill another one there the next day.

Scout24

Keep in mind even turkeys don't know what they'll do tomorrow as unpredicatable variables affect them every day, such as you bumping him. This much I would wager on, if not bothered he'll likely be back there in a day or 3 or 7. Probably not every single day but enough to pattern hunt if you stick with it. I bumped one out a little hidden back field Friday in the rain and he flew 400 yards back into the woods and an hour later started gobbling on his own. I cut the distance and started working him for the next 1/2 hour but he'd been spooked and wouldn't close within 80 yards. His constant gobbling attracted 2 other hunters high up on a ridge and they were owl hooting constantly as they approached to within a few hundred yards. With nothing to lose I walked right at the gobbler and purposely spooked him into flight back towards the field. I hot footed right back to the field and 20 minutes later he was laying dead amongst my DSD's. The whole hunt took 2 1/2 hrs, included two flushes, but I knew where he wanted to be, especially with their propensity for fields in the rain, and he returned. Your bird sounds similar, I wouldn't give up on him.