turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What a short/weird hunt...

Started by nbadger23, May 03, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbadger23

My season in Minnesota started today and it was a short and weird one.  The spot for today was a small patch of woods, about 80 acres with houses intermixed and nothing but fields for as far as you can see to the south and east and a well traveled road to the west and north.    I tend to get pretty greedy when I turkey hunt, I want to be able to see long distances... so instead of picking one side of the fence line to hunt on I picked the southeast corner so I could see both the east fence line and the south fence line.  There is a shrub/tree about 15 yards into the field, away from the fence lines,  that has finally gotten big enough to use for cover and when I sat down against it I could see as far as I wanted into both fields.

I walked in about 5:00 and it was a dark, foggy morning, so visibility was not good.  I got up to the corner around 5:10, messed around at the corner of the woods for a bit, getting my gear ready, getting comfortable under the tree and breaking some strategic branches that wanted to poke at me.  I wasn't anywhere near loud but I certainly didn't think I was quiet enough for what was about to happen.

I sat down at about 5:20 and waited and listened.  Nothing... dead silence.. not a good omen.  At about 5:30 I made a few soft tree yelps and then another sequence at about 5:45... again no response.  What did happen however was that 15 yards in front of me, in the tree that was on the corner of the woods, a flash of black seemed to fall to the ground with an ever so slight 'woosh.'   I actually thought crow at first because they had been flying around and making noise and I couldn't see a thing in the tangled mess so I kind of wrote it off.. wrong!.  Within seconds, a tom was walking out of the woods and headed to my decoy.... with me sitting pretty darn close and holding a slate and striker in my hands  :o

Thankfully my gun was on my lap and I sit pretty low to the ground so when I dropped my slate and striker they dropped right into the tall grass I was sitting in w/o too much fuss.  Grabbing my gun was another thing however.   I moved as slowly as possible until I noticed him get fidgety and then it was just grab, aim, and shoot!  I pulled it off somehow and down he went.  I said to myself "what the heck just happened!"  How did I spend a half hour within feet of that bird and he never saw/heard me and I never saw or heard him?  What a weird, weird hunt.  I was a little sad at how fast it happened and I'm not sure if I really increased my turkey knowledge at all, but there's more days yet to hunt in Wisconsin so I'm sure they'll teach me a lesson or two there  :)

He wasn't my biggest bird (20 lbs, 1 1/8 " spears, a 9 inch main beard and two other 5" thin beards) but he certainly was one of the more interesting hunts and he was the first bird I've taken over a decoy.  I'm going to count him as a bird "I called in"   :funnyturkey:

longbeard10

congrats on the bird, that was a quick hunt! are you saying you shot yourself a triple bearded bird? thats a rare one if thats the case, congrats

nbadger23

longbeard... Best I can tell it's a triple bearded bird, but now I'm wondering if it's got 4 beards. There's the main group of hair, and then  as I pull the feathers back and measure..an inch above that is a group of smaller hair, then a half inch above that is an even smaller group of hair and then a 1/4 of an inch higher is another small group of hair.  The attachment point of the follicles is pretty distinct for each group of hair in that they have definite space between them.  I guess I never saw one or thought to figure out how you know what is considered another beard or not.  I'll take a picture as best I can to try to show it. 

nbadger23

Well, once I started plucking feathers off of the neck area I found that it's got 5 beards... weird! 

Michigander

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jakebird

Congrats on a flash hunt that ended with a bang!  :D
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?