OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Traveling with a gun and baggage fees

Started by NYGobblergetter, May 03, 2012, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYGobblergetter

I have traveled with a gun before and have not had any real problems. however, I am wondering if anybody has had to pay 100 bucks to check a gun because the gun case exceeded the maximum length 62" for checked bags. The 62" includes H+L+W...so it adds up quick. Just wondering

cfrye11

i don't think I did, but I know I paid a lot for the 2nd bag fee

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

BigGobbler

no Southwest has 2 checked and two small carry on for free, hit 3 diffident airports with no problems

Old Gobbler

I haven't been roughed up that bad

I will tell you this a $10or 20 bill right up front to the baggage handlers/porter at the check in counter will pretty much clear up all unforeseeable issues like damages , missed flights and special handling charges 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

TheTwistedOne

Depends what size plane they are putting you on and how full it is.  The closer they get to filling the plane up the pickier they seem to get about that charge. 

I've been let through without incident and I've been charged.  I weigh and measure my baggage and if it's close it can go either way at their discretion.  What they says goes and there is little you can do about it.  TSA has zero sense of humor so be polite and respectful.

Good idea to get checked in early!  They tend to be more willing to work with you then.

Wingbone

I've never been charged for the oversize baggage, though I expected to. I use a Pelican double shotgun hard case when flying, and it's huge. I have had to wait around for it to get cleared by TSA before boarding. Every airline has different ideas on baggage charges and they are all getting more and more greedy. Try flying Southwest when you can, they have about the most lenient policies on baggage that I've found.
In Hoc Signo Vinces