OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal HW #7 energy?

Started by Rockhound, May 01, 2012, 01:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhound

Ok first off let me start by saying i try not to shoot turkeys past 40, i have only killed one bird in my lifetime past 30 yards and it was a bad misjudge but i cleanly killed him. I have killed two this year one at 10 ish yards and the other at 15ish yards. ok now that thats out of the way as many of you have seen in my other post i got a deal on some fed hw #7s (6- 10 rd boxes and im going back to get the other 7) for my 10 gauge. If nothing else i will sell them to a reloader or use them myself when i get my reloader. but my question is with the 15 g #7 stuff where does the energy stop, im not looking to start a ruckus i would just like to know? and if you prefer send me a pm.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Some of the guys in the Reloading section can answer that question.  They have the computer programs to figure that out.

But lets just say that a gobbler @ 40yds and under is going to have a very bad day when he gets hit with those 7's from your 10ga.  And if your getting birds in to 10-15yds, the carnage will be impressive to say the least.  That pattern would probably only be about the size of a baseball I would figure.

BTW......You don't need a "reloader" like a MEC to load turkey shells.  But maybe you knew that already.

savduck

There is a post on the reloading board that has scientific data on this. Use the search function and you will find it.
Georgia Boy

Gamblinman

If Federal would develop HW loads without the Flight Control Wad, they could easily capture the market on turkey loads.

That HW is some bad medicine.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

vtmchunter

Yea, and I'd like to see a little bit more shot in the 3 1/2" shells if possible. 2 oz. would be good.

224tth

The federal HW has to be seen to be believed. I have killed several turkeys with it in size #5 (when it was brand new and before #7 came out) and since #7 came out that is what I have used.

I have personally seen what it will do to a turkey as far as penatration, as have all my buddies who have now all switched to it.  It will with 90++ percent reliability penatrate ALL the way threw a turkeys body at any "reasonable" distance.  I have shot a lot of turkeys as have my friends where some pellets hit the brest.  On frontal shots and side shot over 90% of the pellets have total penatration!  If they will penatrate feathers/meat/breast bone/meat/feathers they WILL have NO trouble with spine/skull penatration.

All of the guys I hunt with shoot it now after I kept telling them how well it penatrates.  THey just kept holding off and being unconvinced till I started showing them.  Now all 6 of them shoot nothing but Federal HW and LOVE it and still cant understand how such a small pellet penatrates so well!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: 224tth on May 03, 2012, 10:22:53 AM
The federal HW has to be seen to be believed. I have killed several turkeys with it in size #5 (when it was brand new and before #7 came out) and since #7 came out that is what I have used.

I have personally seen what it will do to a turkey as far as penatration, as have all my buddies who have now all switched to it.  It will with 90++ percent reliability penatrate ALL the way threw a turkeys body at any "reasonable" distance.  I have shot a lot of turkeys as have my friends where some pellets hit the brest.  On frontal shots and side shot over 90% of the pellets have total penatration!  If they will penatrate feathers/meat/breast bone/meat/feathers they WILL have NO trouble with spine/skull penatration.

All of the guys I hunt with shoot it now after I kept telling them how well it penatrates.  THey just kept holding off and being unconvinced till I started showing them.  Now all 6 of them shoot nothing but Federal HW and LOVE it and still cant understand how such a small pellet penatrates so well!

I believe that.  I know what Hevi-13 #7's will do.  I shoot them because it patterns so dang well.  I can put around 120 shot in a turkey head and neck at 40yds with my Moss 835 and Star Dot choke shooting Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7 loads(lot #300325).  But there is no doubt that the Federal Heavyweight #7's will knock a gobbler silly.  If Federal would start loading these in even 2oz loads and ditch the flite control wad, I would start shooting them.  

224tth

I got a case of #2 and #4 3.5" 1 3/8oz 1450FPS federal Heavyweight loads from rogers sporting goods.  Federal stopped making this load and it was on closeout.  I use it for canada geese.  Penatration of these loads is unbelieavable!

We shot one of the #2 loads at 40 yards just to see what it would do when we were patterning turkey loads.  The target was on a 3/4" OSB board that was leaning up against a metal clad foamcore exterior door(shooting in a junk pile). The #2 HW at 40 yards had 100% penatration of the 3/4" OSB and front side of the metal door, and 90% TOTAL penatration of the board AND BOTH sides of the door.

These loads will give total penatration of a 10# plus canada while "pass" shooting them.  For anyone that has not shot canada geese they are VERY VERY tough! 

We also use a mild steel "house for sale sign" frame to hold our targets.  When shooting lead it will only knowck paint off.  Hevi shot will SLIGHTLY dimple the metal.  HW will put deep dents in the metal that even has some surface splash of metal like a highpowered rifle does on steel targets!

thanks
224tth
In my turkey gun I have a #7 for the first shot followed by two #4 HW loads just in case things "go bad", and a followup shot is needed.

224tth

We all shoot 3.5" #7 for turkeys and 3 guns we shoot right at 210 pellets in 10" at 40 yards.  You have to use extended NON ported chokes .665 in Inv plus and .675 in the 935 generally to get good patterns with HW in my experience.

thanks
224tth

Lucky Clucker

I love them, we have no trouble with the Flight control wad,the 7's shoot slam through them.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.