OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

any one have this happen to them ??

Started by archery1, May 01, 2012, 11:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archery1

well i have some hevi shot shells.. loaded gun saturday  and after unsuccessful hunt i went to unload gun.. well the hevi shells leaked so much buffer that it got inside my  tube and the shells didnt want to feed properly.. . i guess i can put some elmers glue on the crimp ?  my pocket where i have my shells is covered in this gray looking buffer from shells.. you would think after spending 20 a box of 5 shells, that this wouldn't happen ?
i took gun apart and cleaned buffer out and shells feed properly now.
Take a kid hunting

Skeeterbait

Three reasons I shoot Winchester XR is 1. consistant pellet size 2. higher velocity, 3. rolled and heat sealed crimps.  Hevi needs to get there act together on their crimps, this is a common complaint.  You guys shooting Hevi should not have to put up with that.

TauntoHawk

ALL my hevi shells last year did this both MB and 7's.. the 6's I got this year are fairing better but I agree they need to do better.

Wish federal would ditch the FC wad make a real 2oz. and 2.25oz HW15g #7 shell and just blow away everyone else..
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WyoHunter

A small drop of Elmer's Glue should work fine.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

fallsflight

A little Alex Plus calk on all the crimps works great for me, but as Skeeterbait said, we shouldn't have to use anything!

BowBendr

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 01, 2012, 01:19:21 PMWish federal would ditch the FC wad make a real 2oz. and 2.25oz HW15g #7 shell and just blow away everyone else..

That would be the best move federal ever made.
Can't understand why they insist on hanging onto that wad with all the negativity out there.
Maybe it's just us turkey hunters that hate the FC wad ?

archery1

agreed... ( WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING ). I PUT A DAB OF ELMERS ON THEM AND THEY SEEM FINE...JUST WAITIN
Take a kid hunting

mudhen

Yes, for many years Win XR's leaked buffer like crazy, and my SBE II would jam up all the time (mag tube).

I would use glue to seal them up. 

Eventually they got better, but I moved to H-13 many years ago, and have only had one bad crimp in the maybe 1000 rounds of H-13 I have bought since they came out....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

pdaugherty

There are quite a few factors that can lead to the sealant or glue coming off of these shells. HEVI Shells are not the only ones that do this. If you leave them in the sun, on the truck dash near the defroster or by any type of direct heat you're going to have glue soften and come off. A drop of Elmers does work the best though if you've got to do something about this.

lowoctane

Quote from: archery1 on May 03, 2012, 10:16:51 AM
agreed... ( WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING ). I PUT A DAB OF ELMERS ON THEM AND THEY SEEM FINE...JUST WAITIN

AGREED..!!! :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Woodsman4God

Quote from: BowBendr on May 02, 2012, 09:26:19 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 01, 2012, 01:19:21 PMWish federal would ditch the FC wad make a real 2oz. and 2.25oz HW15g #7 shell and just blow away everyone else..

That would be the best move federal ever made.
Can't understand why they insist on hanging onto that wad with all the negativity out there.
Maybe it's just us turkey hunters that hate the FC wad ?

Not trying to hijack this post but alot of guys have some excellent results with the fed HW #7 with the FC wad, my gun shoots the Lead #6 with FC wad better than the hevi 13.... 6 or 7's.