turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My First Day of the PA Season

Started by nannas guide, April 29, 2012, 08:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nannas guide

So the boy and I headed out this morning to try to bag a gobbler. The thermometer said 24 degrees when we rose out of our nice comfy beds. As I was setting out the decoys, two other hunters, I'm guessing another father and son, walked past to where I heard the gobblers roosted last week. I could be mad, but they were trying to accomplish the same goal that I was aiming for. As I expected, since I saw the hunters heading that way, no gobbles from the woodlot I was perched beside. I was able to get some gobbles from yonder woodlot. That is until I watched another hunter walk across a field to get to the lot. Then silence!!!

After sitting in silence for a much longer period of time than I cared for, a hen was feeding and dusting less than 10 yards from the tree Tanner and I shared. She kept my focus for close to an hour without a hint of my hiding spot. Thankfully the boy wasn't snoring then!

From where I sat, I watched the one hunter get up from his seat every 1/2 an hour on the dot. Each time he did turkeys would run or fly from the woodlot he was sitting in.

While focusing on a gobbler about a 1/2 mile a way, something caught my eye in an old dead snag. Near the top of the 75' snag was an unrecognizeable black spot. As I focused on the spot, it moved; then began walking up the trunk of the tree. Eventually, 1 spot turned into 2, then into 3, and eventually 5 bear cubs were playing in the treetop. I'm guessing the mother realized that she was surrounded by hunters and chased them up the tree. A gobbler could have pecked my ear at that point and I doubt I would have flinched.

I watched as numerous gobblers came out the woodlot that my brother was sitting in, but they skirted him because of the other hunter. While watching, doubt and cold began to enter the body as the wind began to pick up. As the boy and I started to shiver uncontrollably, I decided it was time to go. I whispered to Tanner to sneak out and grab the decoys and we would leave. Just as Tanner got beyond reach I noticed a gobbler staring a hole through my soul less than 20 yards away. I guess he finally came to what I often thought were futile calls. He didn't allow me a lengthly view of his beard, so I couldn't tell you if he was a jake or a longbeard.

What a day, one I will relive numerous times in the next few years.
'Til we meet again Sir Gobbler!!
There are two types of hunters; normal hunters and turkey hunters.

Neill_Prater

Great story, and a hunt you'll never forget, even if you didn't fire a shot.

WiLL B

Man those little bears are some kind of cute!! Thanks for sharing!!

beagler

Never Misses

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

tomstopper

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!