turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hens or Toms are harder to fool?

Started by NappinUnderTrees, April 28, 2012, 11:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NappinUnderTrees

So My season is over, it ends on Tuesday here in SC and it was a successful first season being that my goal was to just get out and see some birds. I saw a lot of Hens this season and heard a few gobbles but I never saw a Tom/Jake.

SO my question is in getting prepared for next year do you think Hens or Toms are harder to fool? I saw a ton of hens and I called a few in but did not sppok them. So I am starting from square one and wondering if its easier to "Talk Turkey" with a Hen and not be seen or do they spook just as easily in everyones opinion.

Can't wait for next season! Going to get my Father out next year since he will be a legal resident in SC!!! Hope he will join the forums here soon also.

longbeard95

This was only my second year hunting turkeys and im pretty sure that I called in more hens then toms. It just seems like every place I hunt its easy to get the hens fired up and looking for a fight and sometimes they bring the tom along.

Even if I only call in a couple hens in a day I still consider it a good day because not only did I get a little excitement out of watching them I also learned from them. So calling in just hens does have its upside.

I dont know if this even helped you at all but its just my 2 cents haha

mikejd

The reason you guys are calling in more hens is because there are more of them. I can't say they are harder to call but I do think they are more alert to danger. If I'm in a situation that im trying to get a shot I hate to have hens around they are the ones that bust you. it sounds like you had a productive first season even though you didn't get your bird. I always try to call to the hens remember if they are towing around Mr longbeard pulling them in sometimes gets me a shot at Mr silent. Plus most of my calling skills have been perfected by listening to hens and seing there reaction to calls. Good luck next season.