OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Moldy mouth calls?

Started by gobblerroller, April 26, 2012, 06:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblerroller

I bought a 4 pack of mouth calls about a month ago. They came in a little snap shut case, and I've been storing them in the fridge like it said to. Pulled 'em out today to practice with them, and there's mold all over them. My question is, can you clean them good enough to deem them safe for use, or should I just trash them? I attached some pics.
Hunt while you can. You don't have forever...

gwa

Myself, I would chuck them.

bird

Throw em away... Your health is more important than trying to save a couple of bucks.

Houndstooth Game Calls

Yak!!! :z-dizzy: bet them taste just fine!!!! :TooFunny:

antnye

cannonball

First off, throw those away. Second please delete those pics, I just finished dinner and now I don't feel so well...

stone road turkey calls

You know I always take my new mouth calls and put them in a tub of water and add denture cleaning tabs. man you don't know what was going on on the table where they were made, just got through brushing the dog think i will clean some catfish and then make a few calls. just a thinking, store them in scope or vinager after you wash them off after use. get rid of them things before you all get sick.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Houndstooth Game Calls

Hey del that fuzzy spot would probably help with ssoft yelps. It looks to be the reminance of some food left on them... :TooFunny:

TauntoHawk

Store in mouth wash next time
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dbrnmllr

gobblerroller

They're in the trash! Sucks that I never got to use them in the field. I'll try the mouthwash next time.
Hunt while you can. You don't have forever...

savduck

You stored them with the container closed didnt you after you had been running them.You don't need to store them in mouth wash. After you clean them, you need to lay them on a paper towel to air dry. When you stick them in the fridge, leave the container they are in open so that they get air flow.

What probably happened here is that you stuck them in the container after running them and closed it. The tempature difference between your saliva and the cold frig air caused dew to form in the container. Because it couldn't escape mold formed.

Get you a couple of replacements. May I suggest Houndstooth. Looking at your old calls you may want to try his Dixie Combo, batwing, and Split V. Good luck.
Georgia Boy

Mallehet

Quote from: gobblerroller on April 26, 2012, 06:39:05 PM
I bought a 4 pack of mouth calls about a month ago. They came in a little snap shut case, and I've been storing them in the fridge like it said to. Pulled 'em out today to practice with them, and there's mold all over them. My question is, can you clean them good enough to deem them safe for use, or should I just trash them? I attached some pics.

dude.....i think you know the answer to your question....... :-\

vtmchunter

I believe I'd throw those away.  If that happened to my mouth calls I just might not use mouth calls anymore. :-\

bbcoach

Looking at the PICS, I see a Quaker Boy case with zero holes in it.  Moisture + bacteria = mold.  Take away the bacteria or the moisture and the mold won't grow.  My suggestion is drill some holes in the case to allow the moisture to escape and pre treat your new calls with some non alcoholic mouthwash prior to storing them.  This should eliminate any mold problem.  Toss those and start fresh.