Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is minimum choke diameter for Flite Control wads in a 20ga?

Started by TheTwistedOne, April 26, 2012, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTwistedOne

What is minimum choke diameter for Federal Flite Control wads in a 20ga?

Waddle Whacker

What are you trying to accomplish? You could shoot a skeet choke which is around .611 or .610, but you may only have a 20 yd and in gun. I shoot a .570 out of a Remington when shooting Fed FCW and get great results.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: TheTwistedOne on April 26, 2012, 04:23:19 PM

The best patterns that I'm seeing from folks all over are those using the SSX in both the Rem-Choke and Win-Choke versions. Those chokes have an e.d. of .550.

I have had a hard time keeping enough of those chokes in stock, especially the Win-Choke version after they came out.

It seems that every day I hear from someone who had bought one from me telling me about their patterns and also about the birds they've shot.

I should add, that those are the shooters who are shooting the #7 Heavyweight shells through those chokes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

TheTwistedOne

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 26, 2012, 08:19:38 PM
Quote from: TheTwistedOne on April 26, 2012, 04:23:19 PM

The best patterns that I'm seeing from folks all over are those using the SSX in both the Rem-Choke and Win-Choke versions. Those chokes have an e.d. of .550.

I have had a hard time keeping enough of those chokes in stock, especially the Win-Choke version after they came out.

It seems that every day I hear from someone who had bought one from me telling me about their patterns and also about the birds they've shot.

I should add, that those are the shooters who are shooting the #7 Heavyweight shells through those chokes.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks I was worried about a .555 being too tight and the wad damaging the choke.  If folks are shooting them through a .550, I guess that answers that.  I was also wondering if the .655 12ga choke would be too tight for a FC wad.

allaboutshooting

We've been seeing excellent results with the #7 Heavyweight shot in the Wright's #3 Turkey Choke with a .650 exit diameter as well as with the the SSX with a .643 exit diameter.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."