OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

need some advice...

Started by younggun08, April 25, 2012, 04:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

younggun08

Saturday is the season opener her in PA. Its been pretty warm the past month (consistently 70) but here of late its been chilly and accuweather is calling for a high of 52 on saturday. What will the cold do to the birds? will they gobble less? will they be less active/ be less eager to find hens?

Also, my father and i are planning on hunting together and are both inexperienced. We were both wondering if it would be beneficial for both of us to call, portraying 2 hens, or just one of us. what are some pros and cons of both?

Thanks!

renegade19

I think the crisp, cold mornings make them gobble more.  My buddy and I both call when we're set up together especially flydowns.  BUT, I think we often call too much so I'd say watch out for that.  BUT, we've killed a lot of birds calling aggressively too.  As the guys say on here, sometimes you have to "take their temperature" and judge what will work on each bird.  

Good luck and treasure these times with your Dad!

jakebird

Its opening day, bud. It is always magical. If you are in a good area, and you've done your scouting, you should hear some birds and have decent odds of success. Turkey hunting success is a result of diligent scouting, good calling, woodsmanship, knowledge of turkey behavior, patience, and persistence. Good luck!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

longbeard95

Im really starting to like teaming up with a buddy while calling. So far all 3 birds we have taken this year were called in using this method. All 3 were being stubborn but once 2 people started calling at them its like they get even more excited and want to come investigate even more. It also sounds really good to make it sound like you and your partner are hens fighting with each other.

Just my opinion

NappinUnderTrees

I'm very green to the turks and have yet to hunt with a partner so the advice the above have mentioned seems like solid advice for Pros, I can say a possible con for both of you calling is if a tom or two does come in pretty hot you may get caught with your gun in your lap unless you are using diaphragm calls.

Turkey Call Maker

The weather shouldn't have much affect on the turkeys...  hunt them the way you usually do.....  :OGani:   

good luck!!
Jim