OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How to improve your calling by talking to the birds?

Started by Ridgerunner7, April 25, 2012, 10:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridgerunner7

I'm relatively new to turkey hunting (3 years) and have killed two nice toms.  Although my turkey calls sound good (box, slates, mouth calls), I don't know how to "talk" to the turkeys. 

Im not really sure what a yelp, cluck, purrr, cutt actually mean to a turkey and when you should use them. 

For instance...

I took a bird Monday and he was tied up with three hens.  They were leaving the field and my buddy started with the clucks and purrrs and it litterally pissed the hens off so much that they came back all the way across the field and to the hen decoys offering me a shot to the following tom. 

I know sometimes less calling is better and I get that, but how do you guys feel out a bird to know which specific noises to make, how often, etc.

TauntoHawk

get a CD like tree top turkeys 3 or spring calling by Dr. Lovvett its a great tool

they explain the difference of the calls and the use/mean of each one followed by example from live hens. its the best way to practice your calling without being in the woods interacting with the birds
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tsparks

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 25, 2012, 02:36:43 PM
get a CD like tree top turkeys 3 or spring calling by Dr. Lovvett its a great tool

they explain the difference of the calls and the use/mean of each one followed by example from live hens. its the best way to practice your calling without being in the woods interacting with the birds

Where can these CD's be found? This topic really interests me as well. 

Rapscallion Vermilion

I'm even newer at this than Ridgerunner7 and Tree Top Turkeys Volume 3 has really helped me.  You can get the CDs direct from http://judgebradtaylor.com.   Midwest Turkey Call Supply, for one, has the Lovett Williams CDs.  They are on my Father's Day list.

TauntoHawk

I get my CDs from mid west they have a good selection. They are great! I will use them for practice every year no matter how well i think my calling is. TTT3 is a 2 disc set and has a lot of very clear audio
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hootowl

Just Orderd spring calling by Dr. Lovvett, I know its late but it will be grat for next year, Plus I love to read and listen to Turkey  sounds and Be at the top of my Game,Thanks for the sites.

Hootowl