Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trying to get better with the diaphragm - tips?

Started by jb177, April 24, 2012, 09:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb177

I've been using diaphragm call for 15 years, but I want to get better.  Seems I make the same type sounds with whatever call I try.  Are there any videos that could teach me to be a better caller?  I want to get really good at it but I don't even know where to start.  I can make the basic turkey sounds, but I know I can do better. 

I'd appreciate any tips, etc you guys have.

BTW, I use woodhaven and hooks calls.

Turkey Trot

Look up Scott Ellis' website on google.  He has a new video called Mouth Call Magic that has fairly unique info in it that you won't get watching other videos.  It has been discussed here a good bit.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

MG150

Tommy Walton of Tom Teasers has a very good DVD called Ultimate Training For Turkey Hunters.Everything you need to know about diaphragm mouth calls is covered in this DVD.

TauntoHawk

Mouth call magic is good. I really like ghost cut calls for that different sound. You can really get a great two tone yelp out of them, some times I'll add a center or two corner cuts just to put a hair more rasp in them but I find the rollover and correct tone is easier on a ghost cut in 2.5 or 3 reed
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

savduck

My suggestion is to film yourself. Make you self do different things and then you will hear the changes because you videoed them. Soon or later it will click, what your doing different to get the sounds. It will become more of a habit.
Georgia Boy

Turkey Call Maker

You can try to cut the tape around the call to get a different fit...  BUT do it little by little, this might help....
Jim

Turkey Trot

Quote from: MG150 on April 25, 2012, 09:35:14 PM
Tommy Walton of Tom Teasers has a very good DVD called Ultimate Training For Turkey Hunters.Everything you need to know about diaphragm mouth calls is covered in this DVD.

I use a lot of TT diaphragms and own the TT DVD.  It is only very elemental and is far from being "everything" one needs to know.  The O.P. said he has about 15 years experience and wants to improve on it.  TT is like elementary school in mouth calling, and Mouth Call Magic is more like a finishing program.  If you have not seen MCM, you should. 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

MG150

TT,Didn't mean to insult jb177 he has more experience with mouth calls and turkey hunting than me,only repeating what Tommy has written on the DVD cover.have seen Scott's videos on you tube and look forward to seeing his DVD soon.Thanks