turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tube Calls

Started by harvester, February 27, 2011, 09:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvester

How many on here use a tube call? I have bought two and can't seem to get a handle ont them. Now that the latex is dry rotted, does anyone know where I could get another piece that is cut right? Advice very welcome.

mfd1027

Dustin.   Is yours one that you use a rubber band or retaining cap with?   Most work fine with the reeds I use for callmaking and I could send you some. If you have the precut reeds that kind of snap on the tube I think Primos has them.    I used to use one quite a bit but don't much these days.   The key that I found was to have your upper lip resting on the top of the call and using your bottom lip to stretch the reed.  If it's not tickling your bottom lip you probably don't have it positioned rt.   
Dan

harvester

Quote from: mfd1027 on February 27, 2011, 09:59:40 AM
Dustin.   Is yours one that you use a rubber band or retaining cap with?   Most work fine with the reeds I use for callmaking and I could send you some. If you have the precut reeds that kind of snap on the tube I think Primos has them.    I used to use one quite a bit but don't much these days.   The key that I found was to have your upper lip resting on the top of the call and using your bottom lip to stretch the reed.  If it's not tickling your bottom lip you probably don't have it positioned rt.   

Its the kind with the rubber band. Is one better than the other, retaining cap or rubber band? I can a little bit but that is it. I want to learn how to gobble on one, is the main reason I brought it up. Any suggestions on that?

ElkTurkMan

I love a tube call.  It has taken me a few years to get confident enough to hunt with, but it will be around my neck every hunt this spring.  My tube has an O ring that holds the latex in place.  Midwest Turkey supply sells the pre-cut latex for tubes.  The main thing with running a tube, is it doesn't take much air at all to run one.  Much like a mouth call the air comes from diaphragm, and you drop your jaw while keeping your lower lip on the latex, while maintaining a firm seal with your top lip on the top of the call, to make most turkey sounds.  How I gobble is I say Tucka Tucka Tucka several times, starting out high then getting lower.  I started out with aplastic tube I baught from Quaker boy, and it came with a DVD,that really helped me out.  Google Quaker boy calls, and I bet that video is on line somewhere.  Alos somewhere on here someone posted Ernie Calendrelli of Quaker boy running a tube.  Here is  pic of my tube call.

[attachment deleted by admin]

mfd1027

The reeds I have are 1 1/4" X  2".   Not sure if that will work or not.   Just let me know.   A lot of tube guys use .006 latex and I've got .004 so not sure if that will work or not.    What do you think Shane??
Dan

harvester

Quote from: mfd1027 on February 27, 2011, 01:00:51 PM
The reeds I have are 1 1/4" X  2".   Not sure if that will work or not.   Just let me know.   A lot of tube guys use .006 latex and I've got .004 so not sure if that will work or not.    What do you think Shane??

Did you get those new calls on your site yet?

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: mfd1027 on February 27, 2011, 01:00:51 PM
Dan I'm note sure how thick my latex is on my call.  The latex that came with it was awful thin.  After It wore out I replaced with latex I ordered out of Midwest Supply, an dit is thicker.  They both sound good, but if I had to pick what I one I would go with the thicker latex.

mfd1027

No. I haven't posted the new call's yet.   I hope to tonight.   I have to get Old Hen to help me.  I can handle everything but the video's.   

Shane,  I bet you've got .006 on your call now.  The thickest I've got is .004 so maybe it wouldn't work.   
Dan

harvester

Thanks Shane and Dan for the info. I will check out Midwest.

ElkTurkMan

Hey Dustin,

I just ordered some repalcement reeds for my tube from Midwest.  I ordered the Knight & Hale repalcements, and they by far sound better than any of the other stuff I've tried.  I am not sure of the thickness, but I believe its the 006, because it seems thicker than some of the previous.  It comes with grey and green reeds, and the green are what sound best to me.   It came with a 1' diameter rubber band and an O ring, and the rubbber band holds the latex a lot better than the O ring.  I lot less adjustment!  Just thought I would pass this along to you.

harvester

Quote from: Hawken on March 21, 2011, 06:54:01 PM
Hey Dustin,

I just ordered some repalcement reeds for my tube from Midwest.  I ordered the Knight & Hale repalcements, and they by far sound better than any of the other stuff I've tried.  I am not sure of the thickness, but I believe its the 006, because it seems thicker than some of the previous.  It comes with grey and green reeds, and the green are what sound best to me.   It came with a 1' diameter rubber band and an O ring, and the rubbber band holds the latex a lot better than the O ring.  I lot less adjustment!  Just thought I would pass this along to you.

Thanks Shane.  :you_rock:

Ricochet

This is one call I want to learn to run - I started a couple of weeks ago, but I don't sound good yet.  I'm just now starting to get good with a mouth call.  I reckon I just need to practice, practice, practice.   8)
-JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of thunder chickens in the morning...