turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Distance from Roosting tree

Started by NEKVT, April 24, 2012, 01:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEKVT

How close can I safly get to a roosting tree? I know with chickes when they roost u can walk right up and pick them up.... thats how we put ours away safly for the night ...but How close can i come to a gobbler roosting in a tree without being caught.

guesswho

Another all depends question.  Foilage being a big factor.  Here in the South after full foilage you can get as close you want to if your careful.  Early season I like 80-100 yards.  Something else to remember, the closer you get to the roost the less you can get away with as far as calling and movement.  I prefer to be back a little ways, then once he's on the ground just react to what he does.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

dirt road ninja

Depends on how quiet you can walk. If dark out you can touch the tree they are in given you don't stomp up to it. I've notice too, that stopping right by the tree freaks them out more than just passing by. Last year I set up with my back against a tree they were in. As the sun came up, I realized what I had done and sat so still I was afraid to blink. The birds few down in range, but I had no shot. Not all of them flew down at the same time, so the birds in the tree freaked when I swung on the birds on the ground and they all spooked. It was an action packed 10 seconds that resulted in no bird for me. I try to stay at least 50 yards away from a roost I think they're in. I hunt private ground and would rather hunt them agian latter then spook them from a area.

bnew17

It all depends on the foilage like has been said. I like to get close enough where i can hear them fly out of the tree but far enough away where the foilage in between me and him will help hide any movement while he is in the tree.

TauntoHawk

perfect set-up I'm 50-80yds out in the "land zone" with some decent back cover.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jim67

Last year I crawled into a blind right before daylight,Unzipped,then zipped the door,got situated,gave it a few minutes and hit a soft tree yelp.A Tom about blew my hair back not 20YDs from me. He flew down with hens and gobbled out of sight down a revine. I saw his red head about 1/2 second.

intherut

I'm always to worried to creep up and spook em. sounds like i need to push the envelope a little more and get closer.

timberjack86

I love setting up close to a tom in the mornings. 50 yards Is useally as close as I get. If I can get between him and his hens I have alot better chance of killing him.

longbeard10

depends on different factors, ive been setup more then 100yds off and had birds come in and ive tried getting in real close, if i know the general area of the roosting area i sometimes go in the day before and clear the leaves and sticks out of the way leaving me a trail to sneak in close. better then getting in therr and busted branches and getting frusterated

Michigander

I like to get within 150 yards and no closer than 50. As stated though, there are a lot of variables. If possible I like to setup where he will have a clear flight path to me. Last Sunday I snuck in on a tom and setup on the edge of a field about 120 yards from him. I could have gotten closer and setup in the woods, but with the woods being pretty thick already, I figured he would want to pitch out into the field instead. I called twice and heard him fly out. He landed about 25 yards away. Short hunt, but he was a nice three year old.

jim67

Sounds like my set up last Sat. Heard the bird gobbling,snuck into the field edge and he was up on a ridge above me in the hard woods, He came within 45 yds but never saw him because of the tree canopies,he just gobbled at every call I made then here comes the hens. Big goose egg again.

hitnmissngrin

Turks feel less stress in woods.  That said, one of the keys in the woods is being quiet as possible when sneaking in during the morning.  If you make as little noise as possible, you can get easily get 75ish yards from the roost--even set up dekes at that distance if you're quiet.   One of the best tips ever given to me that works for both spring and fall hunting helps me be stealthy quiet in the morning. Before the season starts, take a weedeater into the forest/grove roosting areas.  Cut and clean yourself a walk-in path(s)  to your hunting spot(s) in the woods.  This virtually eliminates stepping on sticks in the dark, the type of noise that stresses turks on the roost.  No need for orange marking tape, just follow the trail. Often, the game starts  using your path and creates a natural game trail.  Even if the birds fly off the roost 75 yards in the opposite direction from you, you're still only 150 yards from them, max--easily within calling distance.   Do this about 10 days before the season starts so it'll look natural on opening day.  Good luck.

sippy cup

I know guys that get to were they see him on the limb and it usually backfires on them myself 100 yards max
beware of longdale legend

TnTurk

To give you a definate answer to your question, the answer is... one step.

- One step and you've gone to far, and one step and your not close enough.   :funnyturkey:

Ruger M77

As close as you can with out gettin busted might be 50yds might be 300yds all depends on the terrain and cover
I eat therefore I hunt