OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do they change trees after dark?

Started by Skeeter41, April 24, 2012, 10:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter41

Last year I watched two LB's fly up into a tree on the one edge of the corner of a field.  That night at midnight I went out and set up my decoys in the corner.  the next morning my buddy and I sat up cattycorner across the corner from where they roosted.  Morning came and they gobbled in the tree right behind us.  they had to have moved trees about 200 yards away during the night.  Long story short, they flew straight down to our decoys that were waiting all night and we doubled.

Last night, same corner of the field, I watched a long beard and 5 hens fly up into the trees.  This morning they gobbled across in the same corner they oved to last year.

How often do you think this happens and why do you think they do it?

jakebird

Ive always assumed they only did that when something spooked them during the night, but i dont really know. Good question.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

DMP

From my experience they will but not normally unless spooked or bad weather may cause them to move...

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

stinkpickle

I've seen 'em hop trees a lot.  I don't know how often they do it after it gets pitch black, but from the time they initially fly up to roost until the time I sneak out in the dark, some will have hopped trees three or four times.

mikejd

Clif Owen

No idea what causes them to do it; but they definitely will change trees sometimes.

tomanyturkeycalls

I know in the fall when I am deer hunting they roosted real close to my stand the next morning they were 50  yards farther down ...so they must of jumped trees during the middle of the night.... I have watched turkeys hop around on the roost at sunset and they were still moving when I couldn't see any more.

TauntoHawk

seen them limb hop but neer fly unless spooked
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

guesswho

Quote from: Clif Owen on April 24, 2012, 08:47:06 PM
No idea what causes them to do it; but they definitely will change trees sometimes.
I suspect Owls may cause some to relocate.   If Something lands in my bed with eye's the size of silver dollars,  two inch toe nails and can rotate it's head 360 degrees, I'm changing beds.   An Owl is a scarry critter.  
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on April 25, 2012, 03:22:57 PM
I suspect Owls may cause some to relocate.   If Something lands in my bed with eye's the size of silver dollars,  two inch toe nails and can rotate it's head 360 degrees, I'm changing beds.   An Owl is a scarry critter.  
Maybe that's what happened to that gobbler you shot with the funky tail......... ;D

Hootowl

I watched a group of Birds last year, Fly up into the same tree, and the Toms were the Last to fly up, But then watched them Hop over to another tree, It was pretty neat, I was bow Hunting Deer at the Time.

Hoot

mikejd

Guesswho, I never looked an owl from that perspective before but come to think of it your right. Pretty spooky.

nbadger23

Quote from: guesswho on April 25, 2012, 03:22:57 PM

Ain't that the truth!  Between the freaky look and the screech owls liking to light off a few screeches right at dusk, when the woods is quiet they can certainly send a tingle down my spine. 

I've spooked turkeys from trees while it's 0 dark thirty so I'm sure other critters spook them as well with noise and such.  Scares the you know what out of you when it's dark as heck and you're walking to your spot and those big wings start flapping. On the flip side, I've spent more than one morning in my bow stand, waiting for the sun to come up, knowing that they are roosted in my tree.  The biggest worry then is one taking a poop on me!

jellyhead48

If im sitting under a tree and anything poops on me from above i am shooting straight up until something falls out!  End of story