OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Throat punched Tom (Iowa)

Started by SpurIA, April 24, 2012, 10:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpurIA

After filling my first archery tag Monday morning the 16th I was undecided on whether I should wait to buy a 4th season tag or go get another bow tag. Since our 4th season doesn't start until May 2nd I opted for the bow tag.

I slipped into a piece of property that borders the river and popped up the blind the day before on my lunch hour. Friday morning the weather was far from what you want as a turkey hunter but I was fairly confident there were birds roosting on my side and I have had awesome luck there the last couple years.

I happened to have a trail cam right next to where I set up the blind and caught some action before the shot. I made my way in the dark and had the decoys set and ready to roll by 5:20. (Note that the time on the camera hasnt "sprung ahead" yet

The wind was really whipping and I knew I wouldn't be able to hear any gobbles outside of 100 yards or so. The first and only gobble came at 6:01. Being in a blind really hinders your hearing so I wasn't sure where it came from. I made a couple fly down calls and some soft yelps and sat back. A short 5 or so minutes later out of the corner of my eye I catch movement and no more than 3-4 steps from my blind a tom is racing to my Jake decoy followed by another. I slowly reached for my bow and hooked up waiting for them to take a break from flogging my decoy. I drew back and strained to find my top pin, once I got everything settled I let the arrow eat. The bigger bird lay next to the decoy as the second tom spent nearly 15 minutes beating his downed partner.

What a season! Short but very rewarding as this is the first time I have tagged two birds with a bow in Iowa. I plan on going out with friends here in Iowa until the second annual Kansas trip in May.

Specs: 21 pounds, 7/8" spurs and thick 10" beard

Good luck and stay safe out there guys

Reloader

Congrats!

The pics aren't showing, but it sounds like a great hunt.

bird

I like that.... Throat Punched!

But where's the pictures?

Skeeter41

SpurIA

Im working on it. Hopefully it will be fixed shortly.....sorry

stinkpickle

SpurIA

bigdan29299

the pics are showing for me, congrats on the nice tom.

Tail Feathers

Congrats on a great hunt!
That last pic is very nice.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

budtripp

Congrats!!! Thumping turkeys with a bow is fast becoming my new addiction  :newmascot:

honker22

Congrats!  Very cool to have a timeline of your hunt on the trail cam
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Hognutz

That is great stuff. Congrats!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

shootemintheface