OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How long before moving locations?

Started by Siwash, April 23, 2012, 05:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siwash

I realize this isn't easy to answer, but how long might you stay in a spot if you havent seen/heard anything?

I am setting up near a roosting tree and I think it's a decent area.. but if I haven't heard or seen anything after 6 hours, I may move on

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Good god, dude.....

I scout to have a thorough understanding of where to set-up when birds are in different locations.

I do not go blindly up to a roost tree and "hope" they are there.  I roost them the night before or wait until the birds begin to gobble to decide where and how to hunt them when in particular locations.  I'll also develop plans that disregard roost hunting because I know where they prefer to go mid-morning or right after flydown.

You cannot hunt turkeys with an inflexible plan as you suggested in your post.  It's a rapidly changing and dynamic game that is predicated upon real-time information.

I'd give up turkey hunting if I was going to sit somewhere for 6 hours.  Invest that time towards scouting.

I'd recommend reading Michael Hanback's Spring Fever or books by Lovett Williams to get a more accurate perspective on how to develop strategies based on the birds' habits and behaviors at different times of the day.

wisconsinteacher

I like to set up on a known roost in the morning.  From there, I will sit the first hour and a half to two hours.  From there I start ridge walking and calling.  I will sit down and call from 30-45 minutes before getting up.  Remember everytime you call a bird may hear it so don't just call and walk away.  After my last call, I will wait 10-15 minutes.  So a total of 45-60 per spot that I have scouted and seen birds and looks like a good spot to call one.  The last two hunts the birds came in a lot slower than normal so let them decide how long to stay.

Siwash

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 23, 2012, 06:22:35 PM
Good god, dude.....

I scout to have a thorough understanding of where to set-up when birds are in different locations.

I do not go blindly up to a roost tree and "hope" they are there.  I roost them the night before or wait until the birds begin to gobble to decide where and how to hunt them when in particular locations.  I'll also develop plans that disregard roost hunting because I know where they prefer to go mid-morning or right after flydown.

You cannot hunt turkeys with an inflexible plan as you suggested in your post.  It's a rapidly changing and dynamic game that is predicated upon real-time information.

I'd give up turkey hunting if I was going to sit somewhere for 6 hours.  Invest that time towards scouting.

I'd recommend reading Michael Hanback's Spring Fever or books by Lovett Williams to get a more accurate perspective on how to develop strategies based on the birds' habits and behaviors at different times of the day.

i guess i really suck at this!

guesswho

Quote from: Siwash on April 23, 2012, 06:41:30 PM
I wouldn't say that.  You obviously have two traits of a good turkey hunter, patience and curiosity.   You just need to keep asking questions and also learn by trial and error.   

The time I spend in one spot probably averages no more than an hour.   I'm on the move most of the time, but at a snails pace.  I look and listened a lot more than I call.   If I have a positive response from a gobbler and I'm in the spot I think I can kill him, I'll stay put until he lets me know he has moved on or I have conviced myself he has temporaily lost interest.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Siwash

Last year I shot a jake that I only noticed as I was leaving to go home! I purposely went by the spot to check because I new it was a good eve spot. Got him and left for home happy.. I am not adverse to "running n gunning" its just that some of you say to be patient and stay put.. i guess several hours is overkill.. i'll keep it to 2 hours

thanks

VaTuRkStOmPeR

[/quote]

You're curious and clearly looking to learn but posting individual, hypothetical scenarios online probably isn't the best way to become a well-rounded turkey killer.

Get some literature that starts by explaining turkey behavior, turkey vocalizations, the spring breeding cycle and then begins to explain effective turkey hunting tactics for flydown, midmorning, afternoon and evening hunting.

This way you will have a more thorough understanding of the birds and how to hunt them.  You can then apply these ideas and tactics within your specific area and application.

Best of luck to you!

cornfedkiller

I would be interested in checking out those books as well..Being a bowhunter and not as mobile and versatile as a shotgunner, I think these books would help me a ton-

Any suggestions as to which books by Lovett Williams specifically?  And if you were only going to read one, which would you prefer - Williams' or Hanback's?

Thanks

mikejd

If Im in one spot for 6hrs while turkey hunting Im sleeping.lol. deer hunting different story. Back to the question I will give it a few hours blind calling as long as I know turkeys are using the area.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: cornfedkiller on April 23, 2012, 08:15:56 PM

I would be interested in checking out those books as well..Being a bowhunter and not as mobile and versatile as a shotgunner, I think these books would help me a ton-

Any suggestions as to which books by Lovett Williams specifically?  And if you were only going to read one, which would you prefer - Williams' or Hanback's?

Thanks

Cornfed,

I can't cite anything specific compilations by Lovett Williams because I often find pieces of his literature in Turkey and Turkey Hunting or online.

I would highly recommend Hanback's book and Brian Lovett's Hunting Pressured Turkeys as comprehensive, all inclusive publications on turkeys, relevant strategies and tactics.  As with any literature, there is plenty of fluff within the pages of each but the perspectives and fundamental thought processes discussed in each are highly valuable.  I'd also recommend annotating them as you read.

Best of luck.
Cheers!

cornfedkiller

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 23, 2012, 11:02:45 PM
Quote from: cornfedkiller on April 23, 2012, 08:15:56 PM

Thanks

Cornfed,

I can't cite anything specific compilations by Lovett Williams because I often find pieces of his literature in Turkey and Turkey Hunting or online.

I would highly recommend Hanback's book and Brian Lovett's Hunting Pressured Turkeys as comprehensive, all inclusive publications on turkeys, relevant strategies and tactics.  As with any literature, there is plenty of fluff within the pages of each but the perspectives and fundamental thought processes discussed in each are highly valuable.  I'd also recommend annotating them as you read.

Best of luck.
Cheers!

Sweet thanks!  I have Brian Lovett's Hunting Tough Turkeys book, and its a pretty decent read, but I am always looking for more information.  I will check out Hanback's book..

Thanks again for the help.

Hootowl

Bigdog,
            I think those who responded to His question were spot on in what they said, I think we as myself ask questions about what to do when in reality they can not answer it fully. I think they gave him very Truthfull answer to his question, and Iam sure he will learn from it as well. Were not here to belittle someone and What I read was there Honest answer to his question. Matter of fact I learned something by reading this post, Iam getting that Book (Michael Hanback's Spring Fever).

Hoot

fsu33952

I do not understand the concept of roost trees. I do not believe I have ever seen a turkey roost in the same tree two days in a row.. I have seen trees with lots of poop under them like a turkey has used them multiple times. The turkeys I hunt might roost in one place today and he might be 200 or 300 yards away. I have actually roosted turkeys before and went back the next morning an hour before daylight to set up. When it got daylight and the turkey gobbled he would be in a different tree. So I know they have to move in the middle of the night. I also do not understand where folks are saying that they get 50 to 75 yards from a gobbler in the tree. The turkeys I hunt would be gone 9 times out of 10 or would never gobble in the first place. If they hear something walking then they must assume it is another turkey. That's my theory because they will hardly say anything and they will stand in the tree later if you sneak in too close. I generally will not get closer than 100 yards and that is when I have great cover and a road bed where I can walk very quietly. If it is early in the year with no leaves on the tree and there is no road then I will not try to get that close. I have nephews that try and slip right up under the tree with gobblers. They scare way more of them than they kill. I have always used as a rulle of thumb that if you scare him out of the tree that your hunt is pretty much over so don't push it. Better to always be safe than sorry. As for how long before you move. I wouldn't sit there for 6 hours unless he was gobbling or i could see him,even on the hard pressured public land turkeys. I will usually call and then get up and move a little piece but still close enough to see or hear back to where I just called. That way if a gobbler comes up there looking for you that you can at least hear him walking because lots of times he will not be gobbling.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: bigdog061 on April 24, 2012, 03:13:17 AM
Wow, lets throw stones at this guy for asking a legit question?  How many birds have you snuffed Vaturkstomper? You can't learn it all from a book.  There is hundreds of years experience on this board! I been hunting the spring for 28 years and I have a million questions to ask!  Maybe I am super stupid!

Now for the question from dumb ole me!  Every morning is different, depends if this is public or private land, how many more birds are available, what kinda cover is around.  Bird might be there around 9-10 am

I would sit for hours and never killed a bird like that, I will now sit for maybe 1-2 hours then take off. Cuz taught me 2 run and gun. works good when birds are talking. If they go away, I chase them. Be very careful on public land!

Paul

Just one or two ;)

fsu33952

I have been hunting turkeys for about 35 years and come from about 4 or 5 generations of turkey hunters that passed as much of thir turkey knowledge down as they could and I still feel jacked up and stupid. I don't think you can ever learn enough about these things to keep you from feeling like an idiot from time to time. You are going to always make mistakes and realize you have spent years doing something that isn't the smartest. Just stay after them.