turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SNOW n' Turkeys

Started by 870BkWht, April 23, 2012, 01:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

Woke up this morning to about 1 1/2'' of wet heavy snow.  I made it to a spot I have scouted and I struck a bird almost at daylight that answered my Mero Trumpet.  I sat out a hen decoy and went to work on the bird that answered.  After he got riled up the hens he was with got all fired up and then 2 more gobblers answered on the opposite side of me but closer.  I worked those birds for almost an hour and then not much happend after that.  Im not sure that they were even out of the tree considering the snow, but I guess I should've been more patient.  I tried not to over call but if they were in the tree, then anything much more than a cluck or soft yelp was probably too much and I figure if that was the case, they lost interest.  I never could tell or hear if they flew down.  I did hear one other bird after that at about 8am, but by then I was soakin' wet and chilled to the bone.  The weather is supposed to improve over the week so Im gonna be after em. 

Any helpful tips, and opinions are always welcome.

savduck

When I use to hunt Putnam county west Virginia and eastern Kentucky we used to find them roosted on the finger points and then they would head to the first or second bench down from the top. They may not talk, but the snow will show you where they are at. I'd concentrate on the points, benches, gas lines, logging roads, etc. Find the sign and then wait em out. That's the beauty of the snow.....they cant hide where they've been.
Georgia Boy

jbrown

Look on the bright side....you know where they are!!! I'd let them rest a day, then use patience and persistence!!!! Hope you kill a big'un....we need it!!!