OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What load choice for my set-up?

Started by VanHelden Game Calls, April 23, 2012, 01:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanHelden Game Calls

Of course the range will tell the story, but what loads should I check out.  

Equipment:
870 express 12 gauge.
3"
Running a remington extended super-full choke. It is straight rifled/lead only written on the side.

I am not looking to play with different chokes, just looking for the best options for this setup.  I have been using #5 federal lead for years with success but I am sure there are improvements to be had. :D

I called remington to get confirmation that I can use heavy shot - and YES I can out of this choke.  As long as I stay smaller then #2. ;)

So how bout it, I was thinking heavy shot in #7.  Not sure what brand yet, a lot will be determined by whats available at the local store.

Not looking to spend a fortune so I am hoping the collective knowledge of this site can save me a few $

Douglas

Shellwaster

Many on here will suggest Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7 for your application. I have found that with certain constrictions and barrel diameters this load in a #6 will actually pattern more consistently than the #7. 
If those are not available to you locally and your choke is not ported I'd try the Federal HW in #7, the reason I mention if your choke is ported is this load uses the flight control wad and it is suggested not to use this wad with ported chokes.

VanHelden Game Calls

No ports.
#7's may be tough to find locally.  #6's should be available.

I think from reading constriction is .665

allaboutshooting

I'd recommend the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. That should work very well with your gun.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. I do recommend that you "deep clean" the bore. It will help more than you might imagine.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

VanHelden Game Calls

I bore polished last night. :you_rock:

And it sure looks purdy now :drool:

I did not get as much "gunk" as others have shown but enough and it sure looks and feels nice.

Why am I changing?  Seems the gun is not patterning as it did from the past.  I honestly did not play with it much because I have been using the same ammo for years.  Now I ran out and bought more and did a test and its not what I remember it being.  Sooo I decided I will polish the bore and if I am making a change I might as well go a little heavy, seems this is the way to go if your going to change.

davisd9

I would go with the Hevi-Shot 2 oz 3" 6s as well.  They will lay a wallop on an ole tom's head and are much easier to get your hands on than the 7s.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

captin_hook

Van, I too have a 870 21 inch. Mine loved hevi 3-2oz-#6s. Got a pic in pattern section if you want to see it.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on April 23, 2012, 02:40:38 PM
I bore polished last night. :you_rock:

And it sure looks purdy now :drool:

I did not get as much "gunk" as others have shown but enough and it sure looks and feels nice.

Why am I changing?  Seems the gun is not patterning as it did from the past.  I honestly did not play with it much because I have been using the same ammo for years.  Now I ran out and bought more and did a test and its not what I remember it being.  Sooo I decided I will polish the bore and if I am making a change I might as well go a little heavy, seems this is the way to go if your going to change.

I'd recommend that you deep clean to make sure you have removed any residue from your polish procedure.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

VanHelden Game Calls

Guess I will have to see what that requires.  Pretty confident I have a polished and clean barrel though.

Anyways, unable to find any heavy shot of any kind locally.  I bet gander has some but my time is short to be playing with any now.

So I picked up another box of federal #6's, 3"  High velocity with the flight wad, 1 3/4 payload

I tested this against the winchester high velocity #6's.  1 3/4 payload.

Federal is the winner between the 2.  Not sure whats "good" for lead but here is what I got, and should be fine.  

30yds lasered,  Federals 10" circle  116 inside.
40yds lasered, federals 10" circle an ironic 58.

Winchester I did not count because it was obvious between them at 20,30 and 40yds.  

I know its week by heavy standards and the patterns you guys are tossing out there.  And yes 40yds is out of my effective/comfortable range.  Just curious so I could compare in the future.