OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

logical?

Started by tha bugman, April 23, 2012, 10:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Would it be logical that a 1 5/8 load would put more pellets on target than a 2 oz load???

dirt road ninja

If they are of the same shot size, I'd say possible, but not likely. If the lighter load is smaller shot, yep. Are they of the same brand?

stinkpickle

It's certainly possible.

tha bugman

I have a 2oz load #5's and a 1 3/4 load of #5's....different brand of shells Remington and Winchester respectively

Skeeterbait

it is quite possible.  It could be that your choke is to tight for the larger payload and overconstricting causing more fliers.  It could be causes by differences in wad design, or powder speed. 

Grunt-N-Gobble

Definitely.
For example.........I have a handload of 1 3/4oz Hevishot 6's that puts just as many pellets, if not more, than a 2oz. factory Hevishot Magblend load that has mostly #7 shot.  Assuming your "target" is shot within a 20" circle and more specifically a 10" circle.

Sometimes, less is more.  As I've learned with help from another guy.   ;)

It all depends on the shell components and the choke. 

tha bugman

I was wondering this as well about choke restriction possibly being too great...the 2oz #5 did better at long range than the #6's...
Quote from: Skeeterbait on April 23, 2012, 11:51:27 AM
it is quite possible.  It could be that your choke is to tight for the larger payload and overconstricting causing more fliers.  It could be causes by differences in wad design, or powder speed. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: tha bugman on April 23, 2012, 11:25:15 AM
I have a 2oz load #5's and a 1 3/4 load of #5's....different brand of shells Remington and Winchester respectively

Those are quite different shells. They have different components. I suspect that it's more the shell that's causing the differences in the patterns and not the weight of the shot charge.

Several years ago, I wrote an article for Turkey & Turkey Hunting entitled, "It's Not the Shot, it's the Shell"

That article focused mainly on "hard" or tungsten-based shot but the principles remain the same. The wad, primer, powder, hull and crimp all influence the patterns. Those can vary greatly from brand to brand and even from time to time within the same brand.

You'd have to compare a 2 oz. load with a 1.75 oz. load from the same manufacturer in the same series of shells, made in the same time-frame to really know which would give you a better pattern.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

jarbo03

While reloading lead 5's, my best round was a 1 5/8 oz.  I tried everything from 1 1/2oz to 2 oz.  It could have been the guns and chokes I had available, but yes, it is definitely possible.