OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lessons learned this year?

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 22, 2012, 07:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

So far I have learned to stay longer on a set up.  I set up last weekend on a good spot and after 15-20 took off because nothing happened.  20 minutes later, there was a tom gobbling on the ridge I was sitting.  Friday, I was just about ready to move and heard a hen.  With in 5 minutes I had 2 hens at 20 yards.  Yesterday, I was about ready to tell my dad lets pack up and go.  15 minutes later he had his bird.  I need to trust a good looking spot and sit longer. 

What have you learned so far this year?

guesswho

I learned that most free turkey hunting advice I get is worth what I paid for it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on April 22, 2012, 07:34:53 PM
I learned that most free turkey hunting advice I get is worth what I paid for it.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

renegade19

I learned that a Hooks mouth call makes me a much better caller.

ridgerunner

I learnd after 20years chasing gobblers all over the Country I'm still learning...I learn something new every year..I learned everybody has a better friend...so when you show a friend your secret spot, next year his better friend and him will be there...and then the next yr his better friend adn his better friend will be there adn before long your scret good turkey hunting spot is over run with idiots and not worth hunting...Never tell anyone where your honey hole is and you'll always have it....I learned to keep my mouth shut.

bushwhacker

Amen to that ridgerunner. I love to turkey hunt with someone but I always end up calling, or they have a different hunting style than i do and we argue about how close to get or where to setup, or how long to wait. And they will be back in your spot the minute you have to go back to work. So I choose to hunt alone and have more success.

jakebird

Not to hijack this thread, but i for one, love the camraderie of turkey season. No doubt i score more often alone, but i love to share the hunt more. Both of my regular turkey hunting buddies, i introduced to the sport, and either called in their first bird or was instrumental in putting them in the right place. Today they have turned into capable turkey hunters in their own right. I still share my hot spots with friends, neighbors, and sometimes strangers looking for help. To me, to focus on my own success alone, is to really miss the big picture with what this is all about. I could sit alone and kill turkeys and grow my beard collection and spur necklace, or i can share the woods, the turkeys, and the whole grand experience and maybe leave something lasting after im gone.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Adapt, overcome, and kill.

Same story, new chapter.

870BkWht

Ive learned more patience in the 2 days of our opening week than I have ever learned.  It has yet to pay off, but Im not done learning yet, so Im also learning persistence.

dlquinn

Dont leave your water in the car 

Just because you dont hear them it does not mean they are not close...sneaky birds

Stay mobile, pack light

Turkeys sometimes get in the trees during the day

Staying still and being in the shade can be the best camo

Locator calls dont always get them to gobble...even when they are fairly close

Learn your hunting area well and use the terrain to your advantage

Patience, persistence and a positive attitude help keep you on the birds
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

Dan Mallia

Take the first good kill shot you have when hunting with a bow.  :newmascot:

mknoble91

This year I learned that if hunting in a blind on a very windy day put extra stakes down in the side the wind is blasting.

Borat

Know your terrain intimately.  10 yards can be the difference between having them work perfectly and not having them work at all.

Be dynamic and agile in your approach.  If it's not working- don't be afraid to change it.

tsparks

I learned that I have a WHOLE LOT left to learn! 

TauntoHawk

Quote from: jakebird on April 24, 2012, 08:59:36 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but i for one, love the camraderie of turkey season. No doubt i score more often alone, but i love to share the hunt more. Both of my regular turkey hunting buddies, i introduced to the sport, and either called in their first bird or was instrumental in putting them in the right place. Today they have turned into capable turkey hunters in their own right. I still share my hot spots with friends, neighbors, and sometimes strangers looking for help. To me, to focus on my own success alone, is to really miss the big picture with what this is all about. I could sit alone and kill turkeys and grow my beard collection and spur necklace, or i can share the woods, the turkeys, and the whole grand experience and maybe leave something lasting after im gone.

exactly how I feel.. Almost never turkey hunt alone.

Fortunately I have good friends to share the sport with
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>