OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Taking my stepson tomorrow

Started by JVA54, April 20, 2012, 11:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JVA54

So far it's been some tough going first season I had a good shot at a two year old and missed. He was in the wide open don't known what I did for sure I was setting in a blow down tree and didn't have the gun on my knee shot him free hand and must of pulled the shot. First one I have missed in a while. My son had a tag for last week end and he could only hunt Saturday. Birds didn't gobble much but we finally heard one along way off, we moved closer and see him in a field with some hens. We called to him and could not get to come, cutt at him and he would gobble but he stayed in the same spot with his hens. Finally they started moving toward us and then a man and a woman on a four wheeler come down the edge of the field and run the turkeys off. The next place we set up we had two guys walking around calling, they walk all around the small patch off wood we where setting in. Hope we have better luck tomorrow.  

davisd9

Hate to hear that! Hope you have better luck and we get to see a picture with him and the bird.  Have fun and be safe!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

JVA54

These Illinois turkey's are kicking my butt so far this year, guess they are making up last for year that was to easy. Got on three different turkeys Saturday couldn't get any of them to come in.  One of them I have seen in the same field five different days so I decided to go to that field first thing this morning and bushwhack him.  We get to the field and he roosted right near the edge we get set up without spooking him and he's gobbling his head off watch him fly down in the field, I'm thinking we got this dude, he's by himself and he stay there  gobbling for a while all we need him to do is come are way, the way been going most of the time, Not today he goes  to the back of the field :angry9:  Last time we see him he has a hen with him and moving out of the field, we had to leave and get back in time for church.  We might get a couple of short hunts in before school this week, been seeing  a lot of birds maybe we can get lucky. :bike2:

davisd9

Hate to hear they are giving you the slip.  Stay after them and eventually one will slip up.  Good luck and keep us informed.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

Been one of those years. Good luck this week.

davisd9

Might be wrong JVA54, but didn't you get another tag to use this season?  I thought I saw were you did but could not find the post again.  Was just curious.  Good Luck!

JVA54

Yes I do have two more tags a four and  a fifth season, me and my son are heading to the Shawnee National forest this weekend to camp out and do some turkey hunting.  Maybe the change of hunting places will help, have not been down there for a while, hope it works out!

davisd9

Great! I wish you both great luck.  Hitting the woods tomorrow with my friend/mentor.