turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do I call these guys in?

Started by YoungJake, April 18, 2012, 02:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungJake

I am hunting on public land. about 300 yards into the private property, there are at least 3 gobblers roosting. A few minutes after they fly down, they stop answering calls and I don't see a trace of them the rest of the day. I think they are probably getting together with their hens and strutting on the private land.
Is there any way to call one onto the public property?
Thanks!

jblackburn

That's tough.  If they are a gang with hens, they probably won't come in early.  If I were you, I would find a good spot and take a nap until 9:30 or so then start calling.  By then, the hens should begin sneaking off to nest and the gobblers may start cruising and looking for hens.  If you can get one fired up later in the morning, it is a good bet that you will at least have a good encounter. 

Short of that, have you tried to figure out who owns the land and ask for permission to hunt there?
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Spring_Woods

Can you get between them and the private land?
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

YoungJake

They are roosting on the private land. I was thinking about asking permission, but there is no hunting signs all along the border so I'm not sure the outcome of the question would be what I would want it to be.
I stayed out until 11 and got no responses to my calls.
Should I stay longer and see if they will come in then?

TauntoHawk

Just ask permission its worth a shot.. I've found in my area that people can be BIG deer hunters but not care at all about turkeys and will let you on if you're nice and honest
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

YoungJake

Thanks guys.
Also, what calls should I use while i'm trying to hook them? I've just been using yelps puts and purrs, but something else is welcome. I'm basically the only person who hunts this piece of land, so worrying about other hunters hearing my calls is not a problem.
Thanks!

lonnie sneed jr.

What everyone has told you is so true. Whatever you do, don't call before they fly down. I think everyone has the right idea about waiting. You might want to call to them with a call that not many hunters carry. Like a small single slate or a Ben Lee Super Hen, something differant from what they have been hearing. Late in the morning I have had the best luck just yelping soft. This MIGHT work. Just keep trying. Like someone else said, you might want to back out for a day or two. Also in the late morning a gobbler is bad to slip into a call and never say anything, keep your eyes open at all times.  :OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

NYbassman

Definitely ask permission for the private. Most of the places I get permission for have No Hunting/ Posted signs up. A lot of the time that just means that the landowner wants to know who is on his land, not that he won't give permission at all. Best part is, if the sings are labeled, makes it really easy to find who owns it, which can be a chore sometimes. I am sure since it borders public land, the guy just doesnt want everybody and their brother wandering in on his property, but if you took the time to ask him nicely and show him your a good guy, he might not have a problem with it. Most times they just like to know exactly who is wandering their property. Other than that, you may have a tough time killing them on the public. Hard to pull a turkey 300 yards in a direction they dont want to go.

sixbird

Quote from: 2ounce6s on April 18, 2012, 04:46:17 PM
Quote from: YoungJake on April 18, 2012, 02:47:23 PM
I am hunting on public land. about 300 yards into the private property, there are at least 3 gobblers roosting. A few minutes after they fly down, they stop answering calls and I don't see a trace of them the rest of the day. I think they are probably getting together with their hens and strutting on the private land.
Is there any way to call one onto the public property?
Thanks!
I'd have to try one thing not mentioned here as a last resort. I'd use a box or gobble call and gobble a few times then put up a mock fight with a pile of putts and purrs while flogging the ground, limbs and my pants leg with my fly down wing. Set up where no one can slip up on you though and be careful. Might bring that trio running to you. Those birds roosting 300 yards away means they are mostly out of reach anyway so what's to lose?
Best of luck to you.
2oz. = smart turkey bird! I've had tremendous luck with birds that wouldn't come or wouldn't gobble by starting a LOUD, VIOLENT fight...Wing slaps, putts, cackles, scuffing in the leaves...Just general commotion...Works great!

sippy cup

Get between them or if you can spook hens as long as you don't spook the tom Ive had toms 250 to 300 yards away and heard hens behind me and when i seen them scare them off i did it this year twice you may have to get aggressive or ask to hunt property  :anim_25:
beware of longdale legend