OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wild Turkey White Chili - AWESOMENESS!

Started by whiskey, April 17, 2012, 09:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskey

This started as my great grandmother's chicken white chili recipe. I have tinkered with it till I have it perfect for my tastes. I adjusted it to use wild turkey breast in place of chicken. It is really good, so I wanted to share it with my fellow turkey hunting fools.

Notice the bacon option at the end. You can also add a smoked ham hock to the broth to add some smokey flavor to the chili.

Wild Turkey White Chili

1 large wild turkey breast (equivalent of a whole chicken)
3 Quarts water
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon of Everglade's Seasoning or poultry season
1 stick of butter

1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup flour
2 med onions finely diced
4 stalks celery finely diced

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like it hot)
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 Tablespoon of Cumin powder
1/2 Tablespoon of Garlic Powder
1/2 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning
1/2 Tablespoon of Black Pepper
3 cans Bush's navy beans

Clean and rinse wild turkey breast. Put turkey breast, water, salt, Everglade's and butter in a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Slow boil for about 20 minutes, or until turkey is fully cooked. Remove turkey to a plate to cool and save the broth. Once turkey is cool, cut into bite size chunks.

Put oil in skillet on Medium-Low Heat, add flour to hot oil, stir constantly for 20 minutes (don't let it stick) then add onions and celery cook for 8 more minutes. Add a couple of cups of broth to the mixture to thin and release rue.

Pour rue into crock pot and add turkey, stir well, add spices, slowly add broth (as much as needed) to reach the desired thickness. Cover and cook on high setting for an hour.

Add beans and cook on low setting for an hour or more. Don't stir too often or too hard from here on or you will bust up the beans.

Options: Cook a half pound of bacon and use the bacon grease in place of the oil for the rue. Chop the bacon into small pieces and add stir into the chili or use as a topping.

JnL

Im definitely going to give this a shot.  Thanks!

jim67

Its not exactly the same,but I did a squirrel white chili recipe last year. Loved it. I got the recipe off youtube. I will have to try the turkey in it.

penna shooter

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.