OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

old remington hevi shot. good or not good?

Started by snapper1982, April 17, 2012, 07:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapper1982

is the old remington hevi shot good or not so good?

ILIKEHEVI-13

I never shot that load but I have shot the 3" 1.75oz #6 loads and the I beleive 3.5" 1 and 7/8oz #6's and 5's.  The best shooting load out of those was the 1.75oz 3 in load.  I shot them through a Browning Gold 3.5 semi-auto and never counted numbers but if I had to guess I would say around 180 or so in the 10" at 40yds. 

snapper1982

they had several boxes of 3 inch and 3.5nch as well.

rtsj

I've been buying it to strip the shot from. Only if its a good deal.  I bought 2 3" boxes of 6's for 9.00 for a 10 round box. Hevi dont get no cheaper than that.

Roy

Richyb

I like it .. Im shooting the 3 1/2 ,1 3/4  oz,#6 and getting 170's and its faster than h13 what else could i ask for ?

gtrjames

My experience was that they were not consistent (sound familiar?) The guys at Ballistic Specialties cut some of them open and said the first couple runs of them were true to the label...the # 5 shot was bigger than the #6....the latter shells all seemed to have the same basic shot size, and they did not perform well thru my gun...the same gun that loved the early stuff......I say basic shot size because those pellets weren't perfectly round to start with.
The early shells I had were awesome though.

hunter-b

Old Gobbler

Better than lead for sure

now the numbers in the 10 inch may not be so high , but the velocity is quite impressive at 1250 fps , may I remind some of you that the h13's are 1080 fps
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

R AJ

These loads tended toward more open chokes than some of the HTL loads but were definitely superior loads to lead loads at the time. I would not hesitate to use them in 675 constriction.

jtg88

I don't know much about the old Remington Hevi Shot but I know several members over in the lead shooters section would punch a man in the face over that box of old Federal turkey loads.

HuntSource

They were cutting edge shells back in the day. I still have a full box of the 12-3-1 5/8 #5s. I ran those and #6s when they first hit the market. Yes, they are superior to lead loads of equal payload. IME, they are substantially inferior to the HTL load produced today. That said, the #6s are a fine 40yd shell with about any decent choke.

gobblerguide

Worse than the bird flu on gobblers!

chipper

I bought 8 boxes on clearance for 8 dollars a box a few years ago, they were 3" 1 5/8 #4's and made me look like a shooting pro in the goose pit for awhile.

magnumgray

I'm going to pick up 11 boxes of 3"  #6 for myself and a friend todayshipped in from a Gander store in NC .... My Fabarms Utra Mag O/U really likes these things through a trulock choke.....

By the way the O/U is the way to go .... super full on top .... but most of my birds are taken at 25yds or less with a modified choke and 2 3/4"  lead 6's on the bottom.

I like shooting a soccer  ball at short range  vs. a ping pong balls .... I still get excited after dozens of birds ..... when the excitment quits .... that's when I quit.

HuntSource

Quote from: chipper on April 18, 2012, 07:14:05 AM
I bought 8 boxes on clearance for 8 dollars a box a few years ago, they were 3" 1 5/8 #4's and made me look like a shooting pro in the goose pit for awhile.

I'll beth they did. Yep, that's a fantastic use for them, if they are cheap enough. Gander Mountain in Paducah, KY was closing out their Remington Wingmaster HD last year. I negotiated an additional discount beyond the close out price for buying all their 12ga/3" #4 and #6 loads. The #6s would be okay for turkeys to 40-ish yd, but there are superior options. However, they are incredible duck and goose loads compared to steel. They'll continue to make me look like superman for a couple more years.