OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

You can only use one decoy.. Which do you pick? Hen, jake?

Started by Ridgerunner7, April 17, 2012, 07:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridgerunner7

Did a search and didn't find much.  If you could only use one... Which would it be?  Breeder hen? Feeding? Alert? Jake?

dirt road ninja

If I only had one it would be a jake. A close second would be a feeder hen.

Lon0121

Dont matter what position the hens in..they come regardless.  I have set jakes out and have had big gobblers stay away from them.  In my opinion i use hen
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

MiamiE

Hen for sure. These Osceola's are afraid of their own shadow!

gtrjames

feeding hen...I've had jakes work great and have seen gobblers shy away especially if the jake has too much red on his head...if it is a subordinate gobbler, the sight of a red head can remind him of the boss bird that whips him everytime he wants to.

dpittman

I like the Jake-Mobile with real fan. The head is mostly white on mine.

Garrett Trentham

I would say a submissive / alert hen, not one that sits on the ground though. Something on a stake that you can put 1 ft off the ground in case the grass is high.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Borat

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

loganman

For the last five years I have used an inflatable decoy called "Submissive Sally" that has a moulded plastic head that attaches. I put it low to the ground and it has worked great. I have bought four of them so far, one for each season because the gobbler gets so close I usually pop the decoy as well. The turkey I got this year was about twenty yards away from the decoy and I will be able to use it tomorrow. 

Hookhunter

Only own 1 or only use one? If I could only own one it would be the most realistic hen I could find (DSD, PHD) if I could only use 1 it would depend in the bird I was hunting. Hot, active birds or 1 big dominate bird strutting jake with real fan. Pretty much every other situation I would try the single hen. Just my thoughts on it. Oh yea ging in blind definitely hen.

Justin

Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

dpittman

Had two longbeards beat the crap out of my jake-mobile today.