turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Western OK

Started by Arkansawyer, April 16, 2012, 12:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkansawyer

I hunted western Oklahoma last weekend for the first time.  I've hunted Rios in OK before, but not that far west.  Anyway, I'm having a hard time figuring out what was going on over there, and I'm hoping some of yall might be able to help.  Certainly birds around though.  I may try to go back over in a couple weeks, but it is a 6.5 hr drive, and I dont want to waste my time... esp since MO is open now too.

Here's what happened:
Friday - No gobbles in the morning. Spotted a flock of birds. 8 hens and 1 gobbler. They did not move much all morning. We eventually bumped them around 11am, all still together. In the evening, we heard 2 distant gobbles that we couldnt get a fix on. 10 birds flew up right in front of us. 1 we could not see. It sounded heavier than the others, and we assumed it was the gobbler.
Saturday - Nasty weather. 11 turkeys fly down and get right in our face. All hens. No gobbles heard either. Eventually after they leave, we get up. Walk maybe 1/4m and bump a lone gobbler. In the afternoon, we drive around and try glassing some turkeys because it was so windy you would never hear one. See 3 lone hens. Left early because of the terrible weather.

You think it was too early over there?  Too late?  Would be worth another trip?