turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lead is awesome kills just as good as hevi

Started by philipriley16, April 15, 2012, 10:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philipriley16

2 for 2 with the 935 using Winchester supreme 3.5 #6 and running a jellyhead choke. Saturday was opening day of ky season and I called in a 2 year old after some sneaking around I got him to come in to 20 yards And I smoked him. Today I called in a very hot 3 year old and shot at what thought was 35 yards(blinds are deceiving) and when he dropped he never moved! Ranged him after shot and was 44 yards but my gun gets 80-90 in 10 at 50 so I was ok anyway. Point is that I could of killed either bird with hevi but why when lead does just as good I think sometimes people get caught up in a number game and mAybe don't relize that it isn't that much better

Bossmoss

I agree. I also shooting a 935 with a kicks GT .680 with 3.5 win HV 2oz #5 and getting 140 hits in a 10" circle at 35 yards. I'm sure # 6 my numbers would go up but kinda old school think 5 is best of both worlds. I can't see spending the extra money. Numbers on paper don't mean better kills.

DblClk

Great work !  I recently started patterning more lead loads. I have messed around with the high priced loads but it will break the bank trying to come up with the best combo.  My 835 with IC tube shoots the WIN HDXR #6 3.5 inch well but I won't fess up how much money I burned thru getting the combo dialed in.   With either my 835 or 11-87 packed with lead inside 45yd its lights out for longbeards !!!!

mightyjoeyoung

Congrats on the kills!  A word of advice though guys?  Keep the talk of shots over 40 yards...any over 40 to the camp porch or pms.  Admin here has set a standard of 40 yards max and they do enforce it. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

bigjb

I killed a bird the other day with indian creek & Winchester 3.5" #6s 2-1/4 oz at 39 yds. Dropped him and he didn't hardly twitch.  Due to gun issues, i switched guns mid season and could only could find 3.5" lead locally. After watching that gobbler drop, i agree that lead will do the trick on a good shot and in range.

lmbhngr

What were we killing turkeys with before hevi-shot? Fixed choke barrels and lead!! ;D

mikejd

Luke95

Sumtoy Get Choked

surehuntsalot

I sure am glad to see so many hunters that remembers lead can kill birds and that it is still being used by some of us
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

learn2hide

Hey guys...have shot quite a few birds with lead...nothing wrong with it, the important thing is that hunters know what they can do and what their effective range is...the biggest advantage I've seen with the Hevi and EXT loads is the ability to drop shot sizes and retain the same type of power....I patterned an old favorite lead load today Remington 4x6 Duplex 1 7/8oz and put 91 pellets in a 12" target at 40 yards...they were pretty evenly distributed, 98% sure I would have killed the turkey, but then I dropped in a Hevi 13 #6 and got 157 in 12 inches with the same set up...not obsessed with numbers but I think I know what would do the best job...reality is being able to judge distance and passing on shots that are too far for your set up will eliminate most misses, lead/hevi doesn't matter at all at 30-35 yards if you know what your gun can do... :anim_25:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

snapper1982

i have killed all of my birds with lead. i will admit i like the sound of so many pellets in the 10 but then i look at the price and always buy lead. and from the sounds of it it may get a bit more pricey.  just cant seem to convince myself that htl will kill them deader at 40.

learn2hide

the stuff is expensive...but if you watch for off season sales and the mail in rebates it seems to help...I still say there are some good lead loads out there, if you can find one you like that patterns well then by all means go for it.  Since I shoot about 7 times per year out of my turkey gun, it's not bad...now ducks for example no way I'd spend the money, I'll shoot steel all day long but you're talking about hundreds of rounds per season.   :z-guntootsmiley:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

WildTigerTrout

I killed one bird with HTL(old original Rem, Hevi-Shot). ALL my birds with that one exception have been killed with lead. The last two birds I shot were bang-flops with Win Supreme 3.5" HV 2 oz. #6. The key is to find the right shell/ choke tube combo. Lead works GREAT and I'm sticking to it.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

gobblergls

I loaded and shot lead long before there was anything but lead and dead is dead for sure.  I've loaded 2.5 oz. of chilled #3 lead for my Ithaca 10 gauge NID double. I've shot Federal Premium 12 3.5" 2.25  oz. copper clad lead in my 835.  However, as long as I can load TSS9s, I'm not going back to lead.  It's not just dropping down with smaller shot that denser than lead shot accomplishes.  I've dropped down a gauge smaller to 20 and the older I get, the lighter I prefer my guns.  I have a bonafide 40 yard gun shooting 1 oz. of TSS9s with 150 in the 10" ring at 40 with a $340 Mossberg Super Bantam that with all accessories including extended choke, sling and red dot sight weighs just over 6.8 lbs.  It sure beats carrying my lard-butt heavy 835 or SBE similarly equiped.  In the end, it's whatever drops your birds and makes you happy that counts.

chipper

After 25 years of chasing Turkeys I can attest to 2 things, Lead will still kill a turkey if you pattern your gun and keep your shots to a ethical max range determined by that patterning and HTL generally will out shoot lead with the same shot size, I shoot HTL for one reason, it patterns better than lead in my gun. Period. Yes I spent a few more dollars patterning my guns to find the loads that pattern the best but since then the money spent has been minimal,I spent 2d dollars for a box of Hevi 13 3.5- 2.25- #7's this year,called them into a ethical range and killed 4 Turkeys in Tn. I could have killed all 4 of those birds with lead but I wasn't shooting lead, I was shooting what performed the best in my personel gun. My 12 year old son killed 2 turkeys this year with his 20 gauge at 30 and 35 yards shooting HW #7, I dare say that 35 yard shot would have been streching any lead load out in that gun but he had the pattern with the Fed HW. And killed 2 birds graveyard dead in a ethical range for his gun for 20 dollars. Pattern YOUR Gun and keep a ethical range of your gun is the secret to killing turkeys with either load.