OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Whoa Baby

Started by savduck, April 14, 2012, 09:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

Man I'm beat, the trumpet thumper hunt is wrapped and 4 long beards flopped in 2.5 days. We had to earn them for sure. Gobbling was slow but we got it done. we had a big change of plans and had to hit a different property than I planned.

I hunted/scouted Wednesday in preparation for the guys. Eddie made it in first so we just hung out and took a scouting ride. Lyle and guest arrived LATE that night. We all met up the next morning and got after it. I put Lyles guest right on a bird. They shot pretty quick right off the roost.

Me, Eddie, and Lyle got greeted by a great gobbling bird that morning, but he slipped I past without a shot so the march was on. At high noon, I was able to coax three birds in front of Lyles gun and one took a dirt nap. The other two landed just outside Eddies gun range.

The next morning me and the guys got back on some gobbling birds but couldn't seal the deal. Nobody else heard or did much. Unfortunately Eddie had to bug out early. We missed having him at the fire.

Today brought the same cooler weather but another day of knowledge for our hunters. Jim Brown killed a SC gobbler with a Billy Buice trumpet. Only gobbled once. Lyles other buddy got his bird 15 minutes before they had to leave.

Man it was a great trip. Awesome spending time with the fellas and even more so that guys went home with some birds. I highly enjoyed putting this on. Glad to have met everyone and regretted some of you couldn't make it. Pictures to follow

This morning brought cooler temps and less gobbling
Georgia Boy

TRKYHTR

Sounds like alot of fun was had by all.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

jbrown

I had a awesome time on the team hunt, enjoyed meetin Eddie, Lyle and our guest! My river house isn't much to look at.....but its in an awesome place, enjoyed havein y'all there.....we eat pretty good!!!!! My gobbler was a true swamp master, black as as truck tire, 18.10lbs, 9.5"beard and 1"spurs....he was an awesome bird, not quite an up grade....but very close, still a very special gobbler from a more special swamp!! He gobbled 1 time at 7:40, I killed him at 7:46am....he couldn't resist that sweet Billy Bice trumpet!!!

Houndstooth Game Calls

Got home around 10pm here at the house last night. Del and Jim thank you for being so gracious in letting us come. We are all blessed to get to experience all these wonderful creations in the woods from the turkey hunting down to the camp fire fellowship. The turkeys were just icing on the cake as for the camp it was plenty enough castle for me buddy!!! I don't think I have ever left a hunting camp with a appreciation of the woods as I did on this hunt, it was truly a awesome place to experience!! I can't wait till we all meet up again soon!!! Thank you guys again!!!!!!

jbrown

Lyle, I really enjoyed meetin and gettin to know all of y'all this week! Y'all were fun to be around and good sportsman, you are welcome at my place anytime! Hope we do it again soon.....next time maybe we can team up for a hunt....I love huntin with different gobbler killers! Over the past 35yrs, I've hunted with a lot of turkey hunters, some good, some not so good, but thats the best way to learn and get better at killin long beards! I'm over joyed that you appreciate the swamp as much as I do, I've hunted those woods for over 50yrs and I'm still amazed everytime I get out of the boat!! Good huntin to y'all!!!!

Houndstooth Game Calls

No doubt Jim you didn't have to tell me your appreciation for that place, I read it on your face and Dels to. Old buddy we definitely will brake day again!! 

savduck

I can't say it any better than Jim. We were glad to have you guys. I bet you still hear owls in your sleep.
Georgia Boy

Houndstooth Game Calls

Haha probably so Del I hear them owling over my snoring!!!!

cannonball

A big thanks to Del for hosting the hunt and helping me learn more about turkey hunting. Thanks to Jim for the great hospitality, use of the house, and cooking some fine meals. I wish I could have stayed the extra day and got to congratulate Jim on the best gobbler of the hunt in person.
You two are some fine folks and I would love the chance to get to do it again. I left one alive in those woods and would like a rain check, lol.

jbrown

Thanks Eddie for the kind words and the hevi 13 shells!! Rain check sounds good. I enjoyed meetin and havin you down to our part of the world.

savduck

Eddie we hated to see you leave buddy. When your ready to come back let me know. Be more than happy to have you again.

I think youve gained some skills to use though. Keep after them. I think you have an upgrade in ya.
Georgia Boy