turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Should I try to roost one or not?

Started by YoungJake, April 14, 2012, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungJake

I haven't been able to get out into the woods as much as I wanted to, and the season starts on monday. I have a general idea of where the birds are roosting, but should I risk bumping one while trying to roost them this close to season? Thanks!

Gobble gobble boom

Great question!  My hunting partner and I always argue about this. I would rather roost them and he would rather not take the chance on spooking them.  I like knowing which tree he is sleeping in but as my gramps always said remember roosting ain't roasting.  :cross2:

gunnerj

Quote from: Gobble gobble boom on April 14, 2012, 06:48:36 PM
Great question!  My hunting partner and I always argue about this. I would rather roost them and he would rather not take the chance on spooking them.  I like knowing which tree he is sleeping in but as my gramps always said remember roosting ain't roasting.  :cross2:
Dude has got it. Your better off getting back off the birds, getting an idea where they want to roost, getting an idea of where they want to go, and setting up the ambush.  :anim_25:

HunterMan

I say roost and locate as much as possible. That is the beginning of the game. However if you do roost you might not sleep much that night.

redleg06

I'd roost them AND try to figure out where they want to go after they get off the roost...

jakebird

Roosted ainr roasted has been said many times with merit, but at the same time, it puts you in the driver's seat from the start. Some of the most riveting, heart pounding hunts i've ever had. Isnt that what it's all about anyway? I highly reccomend it at every opportunity. Keeps you from starting off in a cold location, gets you in the game early instead of trying to catch up and get close to turkeys all day.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

lonnie sneed jr.

I roost whenever I can, but I like to roost from a good ways off. If I can hear a gobbler from one ridge to the next and get a fix within 25-50 yds. of were he is I am happy. This way I can get close the next morning but not to close. Any time you know were a gobbler is you increase your chances of killing him. I do not roost alot when I am hunting from home because I go to work when I get out of the turkey woods and work at least 8 hr. after I get to work. This puts me getting home about 9:00 p.m.. If I can I will try and roost one every night that I am not at work, or hunting a differant state. If I live for 2 more years I will not have to go to work any more and can roost every eve. I say roost them if you can.

Gobble gobble boom

I talked my hunting partner into roosting on a very windy Sunday afternoon. 6:34 am Monday morning 1st bird of the season down. Since we roosted him we were able to sneak in close and set up. Nothing works all the time but it worked out great this time. 21 lbs 9.5" beard 1 5/8 spurs.

Lon0121

Reason i dont roost is this...

I am a firm believer not all gobblers gobble first lite.  For fear of being whooped or just scared of a bigger tom.  I called in a group of jakes a couple days ago by accident trying to work a gobbler out of the roost at first lite.    They came to my decoy so nervous because they heard that big boy in the tree a hundred or so yds out.    The jakes didnt gobble or strut but were sporting the biggest set of cherry heads.
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

FloppinTom

I only roost on calm evenings.  i cutt on a box call late in the evening when i think they are on the roost already. i call loud and from a distance that reduces risk of spooking them and i seldom use the box call when hunting so they shouldnt get wise.  dont go hiking thru the evening woods calling or youll do more harm than good. best of luck.
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

milertyme03

Do you guys have better luck roosting with a turkey call or a locator?  I know it can vary by location.  I am in upstate NY.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: jakebird on April 16, 2012, 06:16:11 PM
Roosted ainr roasted has been said many times with merit, but at the same time, it puts you in the driver's seat from the start. Some of the most riveting, heart pounding hunts i've ever had. Isnt that what it's all about anyway? I highly reccomend it at every opportunity. Keeps you from starting off in a cold location, gets you in the game early instead of trying to catch up and get close to turkeys all day.

This^
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

siyakadog

We only roost from the road, to just get a general idea of where they are at.  Then get near that spot at Darkthirty in the morning.  Wait for the first gobble and try to get within 100yds. of them. We have spooked them trying to roost em at night, so we just go for the general location and try to get em at flydown.

Punisher

I also feel if I can figure out the night before where a turkey is roosted it gives me a much better chance of having a favorable setup the next morning.  Just don't be too confident that you have his roost pinpointed and bump him that next morning trying to get to close.  Your also ahead of the game if you have scouted the turkeys and have a general ideas of their daily routines.