OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gun range (pic added)

Started by Woodsman4God, April 14, 2012, 12:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsman4God

Red and I headed to the gun range yesterday to test out my new choke and fire some handloads for my rifle. 1st my gun doesnt like hevi-7s with 3 different chokes.  so i gave red my last 3 shells for him to use. I got better patterns with copper plated lead  #6s than with the hvy 7s, guess I am gonna have to try federal HW 7s , as my lead 6s were federals and they shot good up to 35 yards. . Finally found a round my 270 likes ( pic  below)  and lastly but best, When Red and I arrived while he was unlocking the gate to the range I threw in a mouth call and got a gobbler to fire back a few times then when we were leaving I did it again and this time he was close,  eventually we saw a great bird at about 100 yards just screaming his head off, season opens a week from this coming monday. He had a good beard , very visible from 100 yds and he gobbled at about everything we threw at him, come on 23rd.

anthonyjhallen

What gun/choke/shell where you shooting that didnt preform well?

BOFF

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on April 14, 2012, 08:23:00 PM

X2

Makes me think the chokes were too tight.

Tickled for you to read about the Gobbler!! Come on 23rd!!!

God Bless,
David B.

redarrow

I will have to keep my ears open to see if anybody from the club will be hunting on the club property. If not I may have to try for that ol boy. Like Leo said he was a dandy looking bird.

Woodsman4God

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on April 14, 2012, 08:23:00 PM

Pure gold tempest .555, and an undertaker .572, using hevi shot #7 , neither of these patterned that well at 40 yards, amazingly lead #6 had a similar # of shots in a 10 inch circle with a more even pattern getting more into the 3 inch cirlce. The #6 lead was federal with the FC wad, havent tried federal hw #7 yet but will be doing so in the near future

anthonyjhallen

Is it a 20ga?  If so I am clueless.

Nice 270 group BTW.

Woodsman4God

anthonyjhallen

Yea, I am not sure.  You may be overchoking, but I would think that tempest would be the ticket.  Thats what it is made to do, shoot 7s.

Who knows.  I myself have gotten wraped up in the numbers game at time also.  It can make you crazy trying to find the right combo.  But honestly if you limit your shots to under 40 you should be good with just about any combo.  Remember when all we had was lead?  Lots of birds died then too. 

Keep at it and you will find a one that works. 

Woodsman4God

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on April 15, 2012, 01:13:10 PM
Yea, I am not sure.  You may be overchoking, but I would think that tempest would be the ticket.  Thats what it is made to do, shoot 7s.

Who knows.  I myself have gotten wraped up in the numbers game at time also.  It can make you crazy trying to find the right combo.  But honestly if you limit your shots to under 40 you should be good with just about any combo.  Remember when all we had was lead?  Lots of birds died then too. 

Keep at it and you will find a one that works. 

several combos down, all of which would killa bird but ony 1 or 2 that inspired any confidence. I will keep plugging, not looking for amazing just looking for consistent. I have aload that will work atm just want a lil bit better.