turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Va public land double

Started by turkey_slayer, April 14, 2012, 11:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

Went yesterday evening on some state land and didn't hear or see any sign. My buddy said he deer hunted a spot on some national forest that had some turkeys in the fall so that's where we headed. Went up a steep ridge from the truck to get to a listening spot. Heard a few at daylight just gobble a couple of times that were a long ways off. About 7 he said let's go to the top. There's some small grown up clearings in there and he had seen some longbeards in there this past fall.

We started the hike up and I was really starting to question him and myself. It wasn't nothing but a laurel and pine patch. After walking about 45 minutes we stopped to rest. He was in the middle of saying something and I thought I heard a gobble on the backside of the ridge across from us. It done it again and he said are you sure it ain't a dog? I really wasn't sure myself but couldn't figure out why there would be with no houses for a long ways. It was to thick and steep to just cross over so I pulled up Google earth and noticed the ridge we were on loops back around to the other ridge once you about get on top.

We walked some more till I thought we would be able hear better and sat down to listen. Couldn't have been 10 secs but that time I knew it was a gobble. Problem was we were in a laurel patch that looked like it wasn't going to end so I told him we might as well try them here. Worst case if they don't come then we can try moving.

I called and 3 sounded off. I was just going to be the caller and him the shooter but that ended that   ;D. They came in but walked right by within 40 yards but could not see them. I let them go on and moved maybe 20 yards to a small clearing that would offer maybe a 30 yard shot. I yelped then cut and they went nuts. A few minutes go by and hear them coming. I scratched the dry leaves and did some soft clucks and purrs and they about blew our hats off.

I said on the count of 3 u shoot the left and I will shoot the right one. Lead bird came in to about 25 yards and he said im going to kill him. I said not yet the other 2 are just right behind him. We were laying on our bellys so we could look under the laurel better. The lead bird got about 18 yards and another one stopped beside him to the left. He just started to putt when I got to 3 but it was to late. It sounded like 1 shot when both birds dropped. Both had 3/4 spurs, 10.5" beards. His weighed 16lb 13oz mine weighed 15lb 8oz. Little light even for our mountain birds but we had no acorns this year.  Didn't I mention i woke up with flu? I'm heading to bed now. Hope everyone had a good opening day!

renegade19

VALongBox

:icon_thumright:  Way to go!!!  Congrats!! 

Powerwagon

Great story... hope you feel better

Lenny870

ThicketThrasher

On a high ridge in the thick laurel.....you guys earned them birds cause I know that ain't easy. You got sick from wading that creek the other day.

Doug-Va

a great way to start the season off! Congrads!!

Doug

turkey_slayer

Quote from: ThicketThrasher on April 14, 2012, 03:45:14 PM
On a high ridge in the thick laurel.....you guys earned them birds cause I know that ain't easy. You got sick from wading that creek the other day.

You ain't kidding! I would say between lack of sleep, wading that waist deep water without waders, high pollen and temp swings my body just can't handle anymore lol. Was planning I'm heading to Tennessee tomorrow to but will have to wait and see how I feel. I have fleece pj's and coat on plus 2 fleece blankets trying to get this fever to break. Text me later on or in the morning if your going to go hunting. Take care bud  :icon_thumright:

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! Hope yall have a safe and successful season  :icon_thumright:

neal

Awesome!! Love technology! Congrats!!!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

870BkWht

That was a great story.  Congrats on your opener.  Good luck in the rest of your season.

rempumpman

Nothing like being able to take some fine birds on public ground; a little extra pride in getting that done!! a BIG congrats to the both of ya................rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FloppinTom

Man a double on public ground, now that gettin it done. Congrats  :smiley-char092:
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

Ol'Mossy