OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kansas Hunt Success

Started by WyoHunter, April 13, 2012, 04:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

Just got back from Kansas and had a very successful trip. I took my 14 yr. old grandson out on Sat. and Sunday for the Youth season hunt. Saw and heard a good many gobblers but none would come to the call. Sunday morning I convinced a gobbler to come see who the insistent hen was who wouldn't give up calling to him. Grandson made a 25 yd. shot using my Beretta 20 ga. and Hevi-13 #7's. A nice gobbler with an 8" beard and 7/8" spurs was his prize that he was proud to put his tag on.
I spent the next couple of days bowhunting with 4 - 6 gobblers seen each day but none within my 25 yd. range. I had a bearded hen come in and scratch among the decoys but no gobblers. One day six mule deer came into the sniff the decoys but they weren't impressed with them once they sniffed them. Each morning was met with lots of gobbling and occassional gobbles through out the day. Then came WED. the opening of shotgun season.
I arrived a half hour earlier than usual to get set up by a tree I picked to call from. A  few gobbles were heard but that was it! By 7:15 AM the woods were silent. The weather had made an about face and apparently so did the turkeys! Quietly I set up and started calling and got the attention of a hen and then a gobbler. I kept up the yelping to the hen and saw she was coming my way. But best of all she was bringing two of her girlfriends and two big gobblers. I shifted in the direction they were coming but then they disppeared. They had gone up a little gully and were now to my left. I saw the lead hen and then moved my 12 ga. "Betty Beretta" to where she had just been. Just then a big red head appeared and looked down my way. He was met by a swarm of Hevi-13 Mag Blends and at 35 yards he barely kicked. He had a 9 1/2" beard and 1" spurs. You gotta love it!   
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

WyoHunter

Here's a couple more pics.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

TRKYHTR

Nice job. Congrats on a successful trip. Next time tell him to take off his facemask so we can see him.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

slamman

hobbes

Ol'Mossy

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

hotrod49er

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

marshboy

Congrats, Bob.  You're sure making some fine memories with that boy.
Greg

bluetick58

Just got back nc kansas  4 of use tagged out a little tougher than usual not as much gobbling or seen as many birds they are starting to act like are ne mo. easterns

Wrangler95

:you_rock:

Very nice gobbler,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Spring Creek Calls

What a great hunt for you and your Grandson. I know he'll appreciate your time and effort in the future. Mike
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Rope

Congratulations to both of you. It's been a great year here in Kansas,so far.
Freedom is NOT free