turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

how do you piss off a hen?

Started by younggun08, April 13, 2012, 03:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

younggun08

the subject says it all. ive heard a strategy to bringing in a henned up gobbler is to piss off the hen and have her come to you, bringing the gobbler.... true?

eaglea1

I had to re-read that, I thought you were talkin about my wife at first   :help:

Nick_The_Tinkerer

gunnerj

Quote from: younggun08 on April 13, 2012, 03:29:23 PM
the subject says it all. ive heard a strategy to bringing in a henned up gobbler is to piss off the hen and have her come to you, bringing the gobbler.... true?

TRUE! Mimic the boss hen and cut her off when she's trying to get her 2 pence in.

SammyC

I like to mock her note for note.  If its the boss lady, a lot of times, she will come to inspect.

jshively

Quote from: SammyC on April 13, 2012, 04:06:41 PM
I like to mock her note for note.  If its the boss lady, a lot of times, she will come to inspect.

I do the same - but I also raise the volume a bit and that seems to really get her excited.  During the NC youth hunt - I got a hen to come 200 yards to about 5 yards from me and steam was coming out her ears. Lots of cutting and aggressive purrs.  Unfortunately she only brought 5 jakes with her.  But it was fun none the same.

albrubacker

Quote from: eaglea1 on April 13, 2012, 03:38:54 PM
I had to re-read that, I thought you were talkin about my wife at first   :help:

:TooFunny:
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

glennz

Turkeyslayer 101

Mock your wife it has the same effect  :TooFunny:
Be sharp but don't cut yourself!

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Turkeyslayer 101 on April 13, 2012, 10:22:08 PM

Yeah but a hen won't give you a black eye, throw out all your beer and make you sleep on the couch!   :z-dizzy:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

stinkpickle

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 14, 2012, 11:56:22 AM
Quote from: Turkeyslayer 101 on April 13, 2012, 10:22:08 PM

Yeah but a hen won't give you a black eye, throw out all your beer and make you sleep on the couch!   :z-dizzy:

Either way, it'll bring her close.   :laugh:

jim67

This happened to me my first afternoon turkey hunt.I was set up behind a log and called every so often,kind of windy so I used the box call also.Well after 1 1/2 hours I heard a God awful noise coming and it was a hen and she had company,unfortunatetly I rush the shot and missed the tom. Last year I called in a hen but couldnt turn to see.She was real fired up,we cut back and forth, but I cant buy a succesful afternoon hunt.