turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any advice on hunting SD birds?

Started by SammyC, April 13, 2012, 10:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyC

I'm going Chase Merriams in May near the Wyoming SD border.  Wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions on how to tackle birds in this area.  I've only ever chased Easterns here in the southa and am stoked...

chcltlabz

Carry a loud box call that cuts the wind and a pair of binoculars.  Both will be very important.

They like to hear themselves gobble, and they fly down unbelieveably early.  Most days before I'd feel comfortable shooting.  Don't be too worried about it if you don't get on them off the roost.  The best action we had was from 10 to 2 in the afternoon.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

BHhunter

Comfortable boots, extra socks and condition your legs to walking up and down steep terrain. Out here they like to gobble enough to get you to climb the ridge they're on, then they shut up, hide, and snicker at you for climbing all that way.
Seriously, be careful not to get too close to them on the roost. It's mostly open pines and little leaf cover. I've made this mistake many times. This year find a water source and watch the route they are taking to it mid morning. when you do hit a hot one they like a lot of talk and if you get into a group of two year olds it can be funny watching them trip over themselves coming in.
On the flip side they can be tough if the area has a lot of hens. They will give you that courtesy gobble as they go the opposite direction. Be patient though, I've left a spot because of the "courtesy gobble" and walk away, only to have them gobble in the spot I just left 30 minutes later. No hard and fast rules here.

WyoHunter

Quote from: BHhunter on April 13, 2012, 07:30:20 PM
Comfortable boots, extra socks and condition your legs to walking up and down steep terrain. Out here they like to gobble enough to get you to climb the ridge they're on, then they shut up, hide, and snicker at you for climbing all that way.
Seriously, be careful not to get too close to them on the roost. It's mostly open pines and little leaf cover. I've made this mistake many times. This year find a water source and watch the route they are taking to it mid morning. when you do hit a hot one they like a lot of talk and if you get into a group of two year olds it can be funny watching them trip over themselves coming in.
On the flip side they can be tough if the area has a lot of hens. They will give you that courtesy gobble as they go the opposite direction. Be patient though, I've left a spot because of the "courtesy gobble" and walk away, only to have them gobble in the spot I just left 30 minutes later. No hard and fast rules here.
Good advice!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Spring Creek Calls

As mentioned before, good boots, a loud box call, binoculars and be ready for a lot of up hill/down hill walking. Being in reasonably good shape will be important as you'll have some wide open spaces to cover. You should have one of the best turkey hunts of your life! Good luck and be safe.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Powerwagon

I'm going the 1st week in May and can't wait....  :turkey2:

bird

Quote from: Gobblez on April 15, 2012, 08:26:37 AM
As mentioned before, good boots, a loud box call, binoculars and be ready for a lot of up hill/down hill walking. Being in reasonably good shape will be important as you'll have some wide open spaces to cover. You should have one of the best turkey hunts of your life! Good luck and be safe.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

DITTO!

SammyC

Thanks fellas.  Two other veterans and I were lucky enough to be invited to go on this adventure and we can't wait.  Should I carry my 28" gun or 20" barrel?  The 28 carries further but the 20 is a little lighter and easier to move around.