Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Need some help from the Yelper/Trumpet Masters

Started by FLAhotdog, February 25, 2011, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLAhotdog

If possible, can anyone give me any direction on how to purr and gobble on a yelper?  I have ignored my yelper for years and now have the desire to learn..I got a good yelp, cluck and kee kee so far that I'm happy with. The gobbler and purr....dont have a clue!! Thanks!  Tim D.

Basser69

Quote from: FLAhotdog on February 25, 2011, 10:39:38 PM
If possible, can anyone give me any direction on how to purr and gobble on a yelper?  I have ignored my yelper for years and now have the desire to learn..I got a good yelp, cluck and kee kee so far that I'm happy with. The gobbler and purr....dont have a clue!! Thanks!  Tim D.

I have had a yelper for a couple of months and I am in the same boat. I am not so sure anyone that hunts with a yelper will help us out. kind of a secret thing

FLAhotdog

M Sharpe

It's like a fella, that has been playing trumpets for many years, asked me yesterday, why would you want to purr and gobble on a yelper when there is something that will make these calls much better?
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Basser69

Quote from: FLAhotdog on March 02, 2011, 10:41:42 PM
I need to find a trumpet/yelper mentor... :anim_25:

I feel your pain Brother. I will kill a bird this year with my trumpet.

FireFly908

I like to use trumpets and have practiced a lot on them, but they have their place and aren't the only call I use.  As far as gobbling on one, I have no reason to even try to gobble on one.  I very seldom use a gobble and when I do, I can get all I want on a box call.  As far as purring, I've tried it and have gotten a purr, but it didn't sound good and I can't see where it ever will be useful so I just dropped it.  A trumpet is intended to be a louder, directional call and once you are in a position to use a purr, you don't need and probably don't want the volume of a trumpet.
Also, each trumpet is different.  Some are different to a large extent and some to a lesser extent.  But, what one person learns to do on his trumpet, another person may not even be able to do on their trumpet.  I have several trumpets and with practice, I've learned which trumpet gives me which tone and each and every one will have their place at one time or another.  But, they are different.
To get the best out of your turkey calling, don't force the issue.  Use what you are best at using for a certain call and what you are best at using is what is going to be the easiest to play with the different calls.  Gobbles and purrs are not easy to get on a trumpet.  So, in all probability, if you insist on gobbling and purring on a trumpet then you are own and should be able to do it, but with a LOT of work and practice.  If you decide to still proceed ahead, let us know how it goes!

Basser69

Firefly, I appreciate your time in answering something that I have never thought of. I can gobble with my box call that I will have with me and feeding purrs will be done on the pot. And of course the mouth call will do all of it but I just wanted to have some options open for some silly reason. I guess I will just stick with the clucks, yelps and keekke on the trumpet for when I really need t crank the volume up

Thanks again!  :icon_thumright:

shootumindaface

Where are the trumpet makers, maybe they can shed some light ???

M Sharpe

I'm going to have to disagree with Firefly about the volume. I'm no expert but trumpets can be played loud or soft, or at least mine can. They were never designed to call 'em from the next county. They are a more medium calling instrument. However, like I said, you can turn 'em up or tone "em down to barely an audible cluck or tree yelp or just plain ol' soft calling. I've called a few in straight to the gun with mine and I certainly would not have been blowing his eardrums out with yelps and cutting.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!